|Directed by||Sathyan Anthikad|
|Produced by||Antony Perumbavoor|
|Written by||Sathyan Anthikad|
|Edited by||K. Rajagopal|
|Distributed by||Maxlab Cinemas and Entertainments|
Snehaveedu (transl. The affectionate house) is a 2011 Indian Malayalam-language family drama film written and directed by Sathyan Anthikad. It was produced by Antony Perumbavoor under the company Aashirvad Cinemas. The film stars Mohanlal, Sheela, and Rahul Pillai in the lead roles. It was Mohanlal's 300th film. The film received generally positive reviews from the critics and was a commercial success at the box office.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (August 2019)
The story revolves around Ajayan (Mohanlal), who, after having tried his luck in different cities around the world, comes back to his village to look after his ageing mother Ammukutty Amma (Sheela) and to get her love and the nostalgia of his growing up years. There, he starts a company for producing agricultural equipment and earns his living as a farmer.
One day a boy, Karthik, comes and meets Ajayan claiming to be his son. Ajayan who used to boast himself as a womanizer in his youth is believed to be the boy's father by all villagers. Ammukutty Amma starts getting to like Karthik and they form a very friendly relation and eventually she starts accepting karthik as Ajayan's real son, though Ajayan ferociously rejects karthik's claim and dislikes him. Karthik is persuaded by Ammukkty Amma to get close with Ajayan and subsequent events soften Ajayans attitude towards karthik.
Ajayan then set forth to enquire about the real identity of the boy and travels to Chennai. Ajayan finds out seithali who was his friend in Chennai when ajayan worked in Chennai over 20yrs back. Seithali tells that Shanti (Karthik's mother) used to act in movies as a background dancer but dies one day while film shooting. This news after seithali tells karthik, he is near to commit suicide and so tells that karthik has his father Ajayan alive thus the boy comes to Ajayan's house. The climax shows Ajayan accepts Karthik as his son.
- Mohanlal as Ajayan
- Sheela as Ammukkutty Amma
- Padmapriya Janakiraman as Sunanda
- Reeja as Shanthi
- Rahul Pillai as Karthik
- Biju Menon as SI Balachandran
- Lena as Lilly
- Innocent as Mathai
- K. P. A. C. Lalitha as Reethamma
- Mamukkoya as Seithali
- Chembil Ashokan as Manian
- Urmila Unni as Nalini
- Arundathi B. as Rosemol
- Sasi Kalinga as Krishnan Marar
- Appukutty as Pazhanisamy
- Praveen Premkumar
|Soundtrack album by|
The songs in this movie were composed by Ilaiyaraaja. The lyrics were penned by Rafeeq Ahamed. Keerthy Ramachandran of The Deccan Chronicle commented that "lyrics of Rafeeq Ahmed are worth mentioning".
|1||"Chengathir Kaiyum"||K. S. Chithra||04:10||??|
|2||"Amruthamayi Abhayamai"||Hariharan||05.37||Yamun Kalyani|
|3||"Aavani Thumbi"||Shreya Ghoshal||04.51||Charukeshi|
|4||"Chandrabimbathin"||Rahul Nambiar, Shweta||04:39||Khamas|
|5||"Amruthamayi Abhayamai"||Rahul Nambiar||05.37||Yamun Kalyani|
Keerthy Ramachandran of The Deccan Chronicle gave the film three stars out of five. She wrote that the film portrays the elements of a village, typical of Anthikad films "beautifully". She also compared the plot of the film to that of Minnaram (1994) and commended the performance of Sheela, which she felt was "brilliant". However, she ended on a mixed note, writing "What disappoints is that [Sathyan] Anthikad, who has always come up with sensible themes, has failed to send any subtle message this time". Veeyen of Nowrunning gave the movie a rating of 2 stars of 5 and said "With all ingredients in the right doses, 'Snehaveedu' remains exactly what you expect it to be - the quintessential Sathyan Anthikkad film. The family audience that has adored Sathyan Anthikkad films for long, is there at the theatres this time as well, but Snehaveedu emits enough smoke to set off the tedium fire alarm." Paresh C Palicha of Rediff gave the movie a rating of 2.5 stars out of 5 and said "Snehaveedu is a feel good movie". It added "In the final analysis, Sathyan Anthikad mixes and matches his recent successful films like Manassinakare, Rasthanthram and even Achuvinte Amma to make Snehaveedu, which leaves his fans with little to complain about." At Indiaglitz gave the movie a rating of 5.75 stars out of 10 stars and said "'Sneha veedu' is packed with all the signature elements of Sathyan Anthikkad that the families of Kerala admire, but a more cohesive script and convincing climax complemented by hit music should have made this a winner."
The movie received positive response from the family audience. According to Cinebuzz.co.in, the film has opened at number one position on Kerala box office registering 80 percent collections in almost all the centres and made a 100+ days run in 1 centre. According to Sify.com, Snehaveedu opened at number one position on Kerala box office. This is declared as hit.
- Best Actor - Mohanlal
- Best Supporting Actor - Biju Menon
- Best Character Actor - Innocent
- Best Supporting Actor-Female - K. P. A. C. Lalitha
- Best Male Playback Singer - Hariharan
- Best Female Playback Singer - K. S. Chithra
- "Sathyan Anthikkad's 51st film – Snehaveedu". Mathrubhumi. 4 September 2011. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- "Sathyan movie titled as Snehaveedu".
- "Snehaveedu – Movie Details".
- "Snehaveedu Stills". Bada Screen.
- "Snehaveedu". movies.sulekha.
- Ramachandran, Keerthy (1 October 2011). "Snehaveedu flatters to deceive". The Deccan Chronicle. 1 (194). Deccan Chronicle Holdings Limited. p. 7. OCLC 29996911.
- V.N. "Snehaveedu Review". Nowrunning. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Paresh C Palicha. "Snehaveedu is a pleasant experience". Rediff. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Indiaglitz. "Watch Snehaveedu for Mohanlal". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- CineBuzz-Indian Rupee, Snehaveedu,Dr Love,Sevens,Pranayam,Satynaanthikadu,Mohanlal,Prithvi Raj,,Tilakan,Renjith, Palerimanikkam,Pranchiyetten ANd the saint,Indian Cinema,Exclu... Archived 15 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Kerala Box-Office- 12 September to 8 October - Sify.com
- "Mathrubhumi Film Awards 2011".