|City of regional significance|
Mining company office in Snizhne
|• Total||87.2 km2 (33.7 sq mi)|
Snizhne or Snezhnoye (Ukrainian: Сніжне; Russian: Снежное; until 1864 — Vasylivka — Ukrainian: Василівка; Russian: Васильевка) is a significant regional city in eastern Ukraine within the Donetsk Oblast. Along with cities of Shakhtarsk and Torez, it is surrounded by Shakhtarsk Raion, according to the regional territorial division. The eastern edge of Snizhne is adjacent to administrative border of Luhansk Oblast. Population: 48,485 (2013 est.)..
During the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine the town was held by separatists. On July 15, 2014, rockets from an unidentified aircraft struck the town hitting an apartment building and a tax office, leaving at least eleven people dead and eight injured. Separatists blamed the Ukrainian Air Force for the attack, but Ukrainian sources denied it and stated that since the incident where a An-26 plane was shot down they have carried out no flights there. Instead they blamed Russian jets. After the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 on July 17, 2014, a YouTube video and photo emerged with citizen journalists claiming the material was from Snizhne and showed a Buk missile launcher. On 28 September 2016, the Joint Investigation Team, investigating into the shoot down, confirmed that the aircraft had been brought down with a 9M38 BUK missile which had been fired from a rebel-controlled field near Pervommajsk, 6 km (3.7 mi) south of Snizhne.
Fighting for the control of the town between the separatists and the Ukrainian army broke out on 28 July 2014. Snizhne remained under the separatist control of the Donetsk People's Republic.
- Ukrainians: 51.3%
- Russians: 45.1%
- Belarusians: 1.0%
- Tatars: 0.9%
- Armenians: 0.2%
- Greeks: 0.2%
Yuri Gagarin monument
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Snizhne.|
- Государственный комитет статистики Украины. Численность населения Украины на 1 января 2011 года (Державний комітет статистики України. Чисельність наявного населення України на 1 січня 2011 року
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Ukraine conflict: Jet bombs rebel-held town of Snizhne". BBC. 15 July 2014.
- "How Open Source Investigation Found The Buk Missile Launcher That Downed Flight MH17".
- "JIT: MH17 shot down with missile fired from pro-Russian rebel controlled field".
|This article about a location in Donetsk Oblast is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|