Snow rugby refers to forms of rugby union that are especially adapted to be played in winter conditions, particularly deep snow. It is played in the Argentinian Ski Resort of Las Leñas, Canada, the Kashmir region in India, the Baltic states, Russia (formerly USSR), northern USA and Finland and other locations where climate permits.
Because of the cold, and often subzero, temperatures which snow rugby is played in, players must dress warmly.
Rugby union is predominantly played during the winter months and it has been played in extremely cold conditions. In 1939 a Ranfurly Shield game in New Zealand was played in the snow and in 1978 a game in Russia was played at −23 °C (−9 °F). More recently games have been organised to be played in the snow. In 2009, Gulmarg hosted India's first ever snow rugby tournament in Kashmir and it was included in the 2008 Indian Winter Games as a demonstrative event. During the 2011 Rugby World Cup Mount Dobson is hosting a "20 Below Rugby in the Snow" seven-a-side tournament. Tournaments have also been held in Finland, France, Latvia, and Argentina.
- Adès, Harry The Rough Guide to South America, p 56
- "SNOW RUGBY ARGENTINA-TOTAL RUGBY.mp4". Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- Play Snow Golf and Snow Rugby Archived 15 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- National Snow Rugby Championship begins in Kashmir
- Snow Rugby tournament
- Bell, Angus Batting on the Bosphorus: A Skoda-powered Cricket Tour Through Eastern Europe, Canongate, Edinburgh, 2008, ISBN 1-84767-290-6, p23
- The Snow of ’39 | MetService Blog Archived 25 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Cain, Nick & Growden, Greg "Chapter 21: Ten Peculiar Facts about Rugby" in Rugby Union for Dummies (2nd Edition), p295 (pub: John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, England) ISBN 978-0-470-03537-5
- Time to slope off and ski New Zealand | infonews.co.nz New Zealand's local news community
- Snow Rugby Tournament - Tampere Rugby Club Archived 21 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Helsinki Rugby Club
- Rugby tournament on snow Wednesday 16 March 2011
- THORNTON IN SNOW RUGBY TOURNAMENT, LATVIA - Thornton-Cleveleys Rugby Club
- International Rugby Board - Rugby X-treme hits the Andes Archived 26 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine