|Studio album by Johnny Thunders|
|Released||October 6, 1978|
|Label||Real Records (UK)
Sire Records (US)
with special thanks to Steve Jones and Peter Perrett
Joe McEwen, Ira Robbins (CD reissue)
|Johnny Thunders chronology|
Background and content
After recording L.A.M.F. with the Heartbreakers, Thunders returned to the studio and recorded his first true solo album, So Alone. The album featured Heartbreakers Walter Lure and Billy Rath, as well as several well-known guest musicians, including Phil Lynott, Steve Marriott, Chrissie Hynde, Peter Perrett, Steve Jones, Paul Cook and Patti Palladin with whom Johnny would later record an album of duets. The album contained a mix of originals, standards from Heartbreakers live shows, and covers, including the Chantays' surf classic "Pipeline," the Shangri-Las' "(Give Him a) Great Big Kiss," Otis Blackwell's "Daddy Rollin' Stone" (done with Thunders on the opening verse, Phil Lynott on the 2nd and Steve Marriott on verse 3), and the New York Dolls' "Subway Train."
All tracks written by Johnny Thunders, except where indicated.
- "Pipeline" (Bob Spickard, Brian Carman)
- "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" (listed as "You Can't Put Your Arms Round a Memory")
- "Great Big Kiss" (Catside, Parsons)
- "Ask Me No Questions"
- "Leave Me Alone"
- "Daddy Rollin' Stone" (Otis Blackwell)
- "London Boys" (Billy Rath, Walter Lure, Thunders)
- "(She's So) Untouchable"
- "Subway Train" (Thunders, David Johansen)
- "Downtown" (Thunders, Johansen)
- CD release bonus tracks
- Tracks included on 1992 CD reissue:
- "Dead or Alive"
- "Hurtin'" (Henri Paul Tortosa, Thunders)
- "So Alone"
- "The Wizard" (Marc Bolan)
- Johnny Thunders - guitar, vocals, producer
- Paul Cook - drums
- John "Irish" Earle - saxophone
- Paul Gray - bass, drums
- Chrissie Hynde - vocals on "Subway Train"
- Steve Jones - guitar
- Koulla Kakoulli - vocals
- Mike Kellie - drums
- Steve Lillywhite - piano, keyboards, producer, engineer
- Walter Lure - guitar
- Phil Lynott - bass, vocals on "Daddy Rollin' Stone"
- Steve Marriott - harmonica, piano, keyboards, vocals on "Daddy Rollin' Stone"
- Joe McEwan - producer
- Steve Nicol - drums
- Patti Palladin - vocals
- Henri Paul Tortosa - guitar
- Peter Perrett - guitar, vocals
- Billy Rath - bass
- Peter Gravelle - photography
- Molly Reeve-Morrison - project coordinator
- Lee Herschberg - remastering
- Ira Robbins - producer, liner notes
- Bill Smith - art direction, design
Special thanks to Tim Stegall, John Dunbar, Mick Webster and Geraldine Oakley
- Claps, Andy. "So Alone – Johnny Thunders | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 3 July 2015.