So Good (Mica Paris album)
|Studio album by Mica Paris|
|Released||August 27, 1988|
|Genre||R&B, soul, quiet storm|
|Label||4th & B'way, Island|
|Producer||L'Equipe, Will Downing|
|Mica Paris chronology|
|Singles from So Good|
The album was a commercial success, peaking at number six on the UK Albums Chart and also appearing stateside on the Billboard 200 and Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums charts. So Good was certified platinum by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), denoting shipments of over 300,000 copies in the UK.
Four singles were released from the album, all of which reached the top-thirty of the UK Singles Chart. "My One Temptation" was chosen as the album's lead single, becoming a top-ten hit in the UK and also peaking within the top-twenty of the Irish Singles and US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts. It was her first and remains her only entry on the US Billboard Hot 100. The album's fourth and final single is a cover of the Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway single "Where Is the Love" and features American singer-songwriter Will Downing.
So Good achieved generally positive reviews from critics. In a retrospective review, AllMusic editor, Alex Henderson praised Paris's "fine range", describing her as an "earthy singer" and compared her to American singer Natalie Cole. Furthermore, he wrote that Paris "is among the many noteworthy talents to come out of Britain's healthy R&B scene of the 1980s and '90s". Henderson listed "the haunting 'My One Temptation,' the jazz-influenced 'Sway (Dance the Blues Away)' and the sizzling 'Nothing Hits Your Heart like Soul Music'" as the album's "more noteworthy cuts" but commented that "'Where Is the Love'... makes it crystal clear that she's quite capable of depth" and "does the most to test what Paris is truly made of".
So Good debuted and peaked at number six on the UK Albums Chart, dropping to number ten in its second week on the chart and falling out of the top ten the following week to number nineteen. Though So Good dropped out of the top forty in its sixth week to number forty-four it re-entered at number forty the following week, holding the position for two weeks. The album dropped out of and re-entered the top-forty a total of four times before accumulating a total of thirty-two weeks on the chart. So Good was certified silver on 19 August 1988, gold on 8 September 1988 and platinum on 14 February 1989 by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).
In the US, So Good peaked at number eighty-six on the Billboard 200, accumulating a total of twenty-three weeks on the chart but found greater success on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, peaking at twenty-nine and accumulating a total of twenty-four weeks on the chart.
"My One Temptation" was the first single released from the album and is Paris's biggest hit to date. It peaked at number fifteen in Ireland and number seven in the UK, where it accumulated a total of thirteen weeks on the singles chart. In the US, the song was also a top ten hit on the US Billboard component Adult Contemporary chart peaking at number seven. Furthermore, it peaked at number fifteen and number thirty-six on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Dance Club Songs charts respectively and remains Paris's only entry on the US Billboard Hot 100 where it reached number ninety-seven.
Second and third singles, "Like Dreamers Do", featuring jazz musician Courtney Pine and "Breathe Life Into Me" both peaked within the top thirty of the UK Singles Chart whilst the latter also reached the top thirty of the US R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart (then titled "Hot Black Singles").
Fourth and final single, "Where Is the Love" is a cover of the 1972 Grammy Award-winning Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway single written by Ralph MacDonald and William Salter. It became the album's second top-twenty hit in the UK and Paris's second and last appearance on the Irish Singles Chart where it peaked at number twenty-one.
All tracks composed by Mike Leeson and Peter Vale; except where indicated
- "Like Dreamers Do" (Miles Waters, Peter Vale, Sue Shifrin) (featuring Courtney Pine)
- "My One Temptation" (Mike Leeson, Miles Waters, Peter Vale)
- "Nothing Hits Your Heart Like Soul Music"
- "Sway (Dance The Blues Away)"
- "Don't Give Me Up" (Mica Paris, Paul Powell)
- "Breathe Life Into Me"
- "I'd Hate To Love You"
- "Great Impersonation"
- "Where Is the Love" (featuring Will Downing)
- "So Good" (Miles Waters, Peter Vale, Sue Shifrin)
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||91|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||38|
|UK Albums (OCC)||6|
|US Billboard 200||86|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||29|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Henderson, Alex. "So Good - Mica Paris". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 24, 2012.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Certified Awards Search: Mica Paris" (To access, user must enter the search parameter "Mica Paris" and select "Search by: Keyword", with the other two set to "All"). British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "So Good - Mica Paris". Billboard.com. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "The Official Charts Company - Mica Paris Discography". The Official Charts Company. 6 May 2013.
- "Mica Paris Album & Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.com. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Mica Paris Album & Chart History (Dance)". Billboard.com. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Mica Paris Album & Chart History (R&B/Hip-Hop)". Billboard.com. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Mica Paris Album & Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.com. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "ChartArchive - Mica Paris - Like Dreamers Do". ChartArchive. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Mica Paris – So Good" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Charts.org.nz – Mica Paris – So Good". Hung Medien. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Mica Paris – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Mica Paris. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Mica Paris – Chart history" Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums for Mica Paris. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "British album certifications – Mica Paris – So Good". British Phonographic Industry. Enter So Good in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search