Soahany

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Soahany
Soahany is located in Madagascar
Soahany
Soahany
Location in Madagascar
Coordinates: 18°40′S 44°13′E / 18.667°S 44.217°E / -18.667; 44.217
Country  Madagascar
Region Melaky
District Antsalova
Elevation[1] 48 m (157 ft)
Population (2001)[2]
 • Total 10,000
Time zone EAT (UTC3)

Soahany is a town and commune (Malagasy: kaominina) in western Madagascar. It belongs to the district of Antsalova, which is a part of Melaky Region. The population of the commune was estimated to be approximately 10,000 in the 2001 commune census.[2]

Only primary schooling is available. The majority (90%) of the population of the commune are farmers. The most important crop is rice, while other important products are sugarcane, maize and cassava. Fishing employs the remaining 10% of the population.[2]

References and notes[edit]

  1. ^ Estimated based on DEM data from Shuttle Radar Topography Mission
  2. ^ a b c "ILO census data". Cornell University. 2002. Retrieved 2008-03-04. 

Coordinates: 18°40′S 44°13′E / 18.667°S 44.217°E / -18.667; 44.217