soapUI Pro screenshot
|Developer(s)||Open source standard version, SmartBear Software Pro version|
5.3 / December 5, 2016
|Type||SOA, Web Services|
SoapUI is an open-source web service testing application for service-oriented architectures (SOA) and representational state transfers (REST). Its functionality covers web service inspection, invoking, development, simulation and mocking, functional testing, load and compliance testing. A commercial version, SoapUI Pro, which mainly focuses on features designed to enhance productivity, was also developed by Eviware software. In 2011, SmartBear Software acquired Eviware.  
SoapUI was initially released to SourceForge in September 2005. It is free software, licensed under the terms of the European Union Public License. Since the initial release, SoapUI has been downloaded more than 2,000,000 times. It is built entirely on the Java platform, and uses Swing for the user interface. This means that SoapUI is cross-platform. Today, SoapUI also supports IDEA, Eclipse, and NetBeans.
Core features include:
- Web services inspection
- Web services invoking
- Web services development
- Web services simulation and mocking
- Web services functional,compliance and security testing
SoapUI Pro is the commercial enterprise version. SoapUI Pro adds a number of productivity enhancements to the SoapUI core, which are designed to ease many recurring tasks when working with SoapUI.
|WSDL coverage||Analyze request/response messages to see how well a WSDL contract is being tested/mocked/used.|||
|WSDL refactoring||Automatically update requests/response/assertions when the underlying WSDL changes.|||
|Composite projects||Work together in a team on your Web service testing projects.|||
|Requirements management||Manage, import, and export project requirements and link them to test cases.|||
|Form-based request editor||To ease the editing and understanding of request messages for both technical and non-technical users.|||
|Overview message viewer||To get an overview of the corresponding response/mock-request/monitored message.|||
|Tree-based request/response editor||To ease the navigation and understanding of larger messages.|||
|Table inspector||To quickly give an overview of tabular message content.|
|Schema inspector||To ease inspection and debugging of message content.|
|XML inspector||To ease inspection and debugging of message content.|
|Doc inspector||To ease understanding of message content.|
|DataSource TestStep||To ease the creation of data-driven tests.|||
|DataSink TestStep||Eases collection of data to be used in subsequent tests or for external reporting.|||
|DataGen TestStep||To simplify comprehensive testing of complex interfaces.|||
|Property transfer wizards||To ease the creation of complex test cases / message flows.|||
|XPath Assertion Wizards||To ease the creation of XPath assertions for TestRequest and MockResponse steps.|||
|XPath Wizards||Eases creation of XPath expressions in many situations.|||
|Integrated reporting||To provide summaries of functional testing for tracking and governance.|||
|Groovy script library||Eases reuse and scripting of complex scenarios.|||
|Tabbed desktop||Eases desktop management with multiple editors.|||
|API Discovery||Ability to create SoapUI tests based on captured HTTP traffic that was generated from user actions (e.g. from browsing a website)|||
SoapUI has been given a number of awards. These include:
- Jolt Awards 2014: The Best Testing Tools
- ATI Automation Honors, 2009
- InfoWorld Best of Open Source Software Award, 2008
- SOAWorld Readers' Choice Award, 2007
- "soapUI download". soapUI. 5 December 2016. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Eviware software AB sold to SmartBear Software Inc.". Mogul. 5 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2016-06-03. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
-  Archived July 12, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "SoapUI End User License Agreement". Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "The Home of Functional Testing". soapUI. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Ferguson Smart, John (April 2008). Java Power Tools. O'Reilly. pp. 547–566. ISBN 978-0-596-52793-8.
- "soapUI | Free Development software downloads at". sourceforge.net. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "SoapUI Technology Support". soapui.org. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Compare soapUI and soapUI Pro". soapui.org. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Jolt Awards 2014: The Best Testing Tools". Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- "ATI Automation Honors webcast". Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "InfoWorld Bossie, Best Web Service Test Tool". InfoWorld. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "2007 SOA World Reader's Choice Awards". SOAWorld Magazine. Retrieved April 5, 2011.