Socalled performing in Montreal, October 2005
|Birth name||Josh Dolgin|
|Born||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Genres||Jewish hip hop, klezmer|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, record producer|
|Labels||Piranha Musik, Label Bleu, Dare to Care Records|
Josh Dolgin, better known by his stage name Socalled, is a Canadian rapper and record producer, known for his eclectic mix of hip hop, klezmer, and other styles such as drum & bass and folk music. A pianist and accordion player, he has taught the latter at Klezfest London, where he has also run workshops in "hiphopkele". He has played with clarinetist David Krakauer's Klezmer Madness!, and has also worked with artists such as rapper C-Rayz Walz, Chilly Gonzales, funk trombonist Fred Wesley, and Sophie Solomon. Dolgin has Ukrainian, Romanian and Russian roots.
Dolgin's Socalled collective and guests celebrated the Jewish Festival of Lights with the seasonal concert "Hip Hop Hanukkah" in 2007. He is the subject of The "Socalled" Movie, a documentary released in 2010 by Garry Beitel for the National Film Board of Canada, which also features Krakauer and Wesley. The documentary includes footage of the first "Klezmer Cruise", in which a boatload of klezmer fans sailed down the Dnieper River in the Ukraine.
He is openly gay.
- HiphopKhasene (with Solomon) (2003)
- Consensus: Live in Concert (with Beyond the Pale) (2005)
- The So Called Seder: A Hip Hop Haggadah (2005)
- Ghettoblaster (2007)
- SleepOver (2011)
- The Season (A musical presented during the Pop Montreal festival with Yves Lambert, Katie Moore, Rich Ly, Josh Goldman, Yassin "The Narcicyst" and Josh Dolgin) (2013)
- "(These Are The) Good Old Days" (2007)
- "You Are Never Alone" (2007)
- "(Rock The) Belz" (2007)
- The Socalled Movie (2010)
- "Who's Who in KlezFest, Ot Azoy! and the Jewish Song School 2005". Jewish Music Institutes. University of London. 2005-03-25. Archived from the original on 2008-03-11. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- Viatteau, Michel (2011-06-23). "Canada's 'Jewish cowboy' combines Klezmer with electro". The Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- Roberts, Rob (2007-12-07). "If you do just five things this week". National Post. CanWest Global Communications. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- C, Scott (2007-05-24). "My Socalled column". Montreal Mirror. Quebecor. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- "As It Happens 'Curried Soul' theme remixer Socalled on how to remix a classic". CBC Music, September 4, 2013.
- Socalled: Montreal's queer, klezmer, hip-hop sensation. Xtra!, February 1, 2010.