Socastee High School
|Socastee High School|
|4900 Socastee Boulevard
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 29588
|School district||Horry County Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Rick Maxey|
|Principal||Mr. Jeremy Rich|
|Slogan||"Once a Brave always a Brave"|
|Team name||SHS Braves|
|Publication||Spindles Literary Magazine|
|Feeder schools||Forestbrook Middle School
Socastee High School (abbreviated SHS) is a large, three-story public high school with about 1,700 students located in Socastee, South Carolina in the Myrtle Beach metro area. It is run by Horry County Schools. The school's mascot is the Brave and the school colors are black and gold. The current principal is Mr. Jeremy Rich.
Socastee High currently sponsors these interscholastic teams through its athletic department for both young men and women: wrestling, basketball, athletic training, varsity cheerleading, girls' lacrosse, boys' lacrosse, golf, football, girls' tennis, swimming, volleyball, baseball, cross country and men's tennis.
Clubs and extracurricular activities
Socastee High currently offer a number of clubs and extracurricular activities for students to participate in which included: Academic Team, Art Club, Beta Club, Drama Club and others. The full list can be found on the SHS website here
Awards and recognition
Socastee High is also known for its two show choirs, primarily the Socastee Singers, an advanced SATB choir, who won Superior two years running in the Festival Disney competition, as well as the Select Girls, an audition-only SSA choir, who placed Excellent in the same competition. In 2010 Socastee Singers took first place in the Heritage festival which took place in New York City.
Socastee High also has a very well known band program. In 2009 they were given the award of best high school jazz band on the east coast. The jazz band has also been given Superior ratings every year at the Newberry College Jazz Fest. The band has also received two consecutive OPA's (Outstanding Performance Award) and many consecutive superior ratings in both Jazz and Symphonic Band. The Symph. Band has also been given Superior ratings each year at Band Contest hosted at West Ashley High School. The Marching Band has competed at state finals in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
In 2010, Socastee High School made an appearance in Newsweek magazine's list of America's Best High School.
The school's notable alumni include:
- Wendi Nix, Anchor and ESPN sports reporter
- Hunter Renfrow, Clemson Wide receiver
- Thad Viers, former South Carolina Representative for District 68
- Kiera Cass, New York Times and International Best Selling Author of The Selection Series
- List of high schools in South Carolina
- Academy for Technology and Academics
- Academy for the Arts, Science and Technology
- Aynor High School
- Carolina Forest High School
- Conway High School
- Myrtle Beach High School
- North Myrtle Beach High School
- St. James High School
- Scholars Academy
- Socastee High School, International Baccalaureate Organization. Accessed November 12, 2007.
- Socastee High School Athletic Department; accessed 8 October 2011
- SHS Clubs and Extracurricular Activities, SHS Clubs and Extracurricular Activities. Accessed October 9, 2011.
- Participant History & Past National Winners, National High School Mock Trial Championship. Accessed July 1, 2007.
- "Socastee High School makes Newsweek magazine tops in U.S. list". ncnow.com. June 14, 2010. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- Official website
- Socastee High School Shooting
- Botkin-Kowacki, Eva (April 26, 2016). "Transgender teen fights policy after bathroom-related suspension". Christian Science Monitor.