Social Capital (venture capital)
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California, United States|
|Total assets||$1.2 billion|
Social Capital, formerly known as Social+Capital Partnership, is a venture capital firm based in Palo Alto, California,USA. The firm specializes in technology startups, providing seed funding, venture capital and private equity.
The firm has "stood out strategically", according to Fortune, "with a focus on...healthcare, financial services and education...when those fields were...neglected by the VC community."
In 2015, Social Capital raised $500 million in their third and largest venture capital fund. PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel praised Palihapitiya's approach, and as of 2015 served as a limited partner.
In 2012, the firm invested in Impermium, which was acquired by Google in 2014. Also in 2012, the firm was a venture investor in InstaEDU, acquired by Chegg in 2014. Social Capital led a round of Series B funding for Wave Accounting.
- Rao, Leena. "Is Social+Capital's Chamath Palihapitiya the future of venture capital?". Fortune. Fortune. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- de la MERCED, MICHAEL J. "Silicon Valley Investment Funds Still Lack Diversity, Study Shows". New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Arrington, Michael (2011-06-03). "Facebook VP Chamath Palihapitiya Forms New Venture Fund, The Social+Capital Partnership". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- Kim, Eugene. "These Two Charts Explain Why Kleiner Perkins Wanted To Buy This Four-Year-Old VC Firm". Business Insider. Business Insider. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- Bennett, Drake (2012-07-26). "Social+Capital, the League of Extraordinarily Rich Gentlemen". Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- Bennett, Drake. "Social+Capital, the League of Extraordinarily Rich Gentlemen". Bloomberg. Bloomberg. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- Primack, Dan (January 26, 2015). "Exclusive: Kleiner Perkins tried to 'acquire' Social+Capital Partnership". Fortune. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- Lynley, Matthew (March 31, 2015). "Why The Kleiner Perkins-Social+Capital Deal Fell Apart". TechCrunch. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- Shontell, Alyson. "That Big Round Ex-Yahoos Were Raising? It Closed And Here Are The Details". Business Insider. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Jeff Bercovici (December 2015). "Slack Is Our Company of the Year. Here's Why Everybody's Talking About It". Inc. Retrieved February 7, 2018.