|Edited by||Arne L. Kalleberg|
|The Journal of Social Forces|
|ISO 4||Soc. Forces|
Social Forces (formerly The Journal of Social Forces) is a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal of social science published by Oxford University Press for the Department of Sociology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It concentrates on sociology but also has a multidisciplinary approach, publishing works from the fields of social psychology, anthropology, political science, history, and economics. Each issue includes between 20 and 25 articles. In addition, the journal also publishes book reviews.
Social Forces was established by Howard W. Odum in 1922 as The Journal of Social Forces. The name was changed relatively quickly; since 1925 (volume 4), it has been published as Social Forces. Oxford University Press took over publication of the journal from the University of North Carolina Press in 2011.
Abstracting and indexing
Social Forces is abstracted and indexed in the Social Sciences Citation Index. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2019 impact factor of 1.953, ranking it 46th out of 150 journals in the category "Sociology".
- Peter R. Uhlenberg, 2006–2007
- Judith R. Blau, 2003–2006
- Richard L. Simpson, 1969–1972; 1983–2003
- Everett K. Wilson, 1972–1982
- Guy Benton Johnson, 1961–1969
- Rupert B. Vance, 1957–1969
- Gordon W. Blackwell, 1955–1956
- Katharine Jocher, 1927–1961
- Howard W. Odum, 1922–1954
- Elisabeth Gayon (1985). "Guide documentaire de l'étudiant et du chercheur en science politique". In Madeleine Grawitz; Jean Leca (eds.). Traité de science politique (in French). Presses Universitaires de France. p. 305. ISBN 2-13-038858-2.
- Kalleberg, A. L. (2011). "Social Forces Tomorrow". Social Forces, 90(2), 345–347. doi:10.1093/sf/sor033
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Sociology". 2019 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2020.
- Social Forces at the Department of Sociology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Official website
- Social Forces[dead link]
- Social Forces, at Project MUSE