Socialist Front (Puerto Rico)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Puerto Rico Independence
|Political position||Left-wing to Far-left|
|Regional affiliation||Foro de São Paulo|
The FS was launched on November 4, 1990, as an initiative of the Socialist Workers' Movement (MST) joining with the Political Formation Workshop and the Puerto Rican Workers Party-Macheteros. In 2005 the MST officially disaffiliated with the Frente Socialista, and Puerto Rican Workers' Revolutionary Party, and the Political Education Workshop did the same in 2008, but the Frente has continued on. The Frente's principal spokespersons were Rafael Bernabe Riefkohl and Jorge Farinacci.
As a coalition of multiple tendencies, opinions often vary internally, however, amongst its stated public positions; it has supported general strikes, supports the presidency of Nicolás Maduro, and has previously condemned acts of terrorism, saying:
Motivated by the esteem and respect for human life that inspires our socialist ideals, we reject all attacks that irresponsibly or indiscriminately attempts against the life of any human being. Conscientious of the difference between the governments and the peoples, we repudiate all actions that, to strike governments, or to protest against some measures, however unjust they may be, strike in its place defenseless people.
In the 2000 Puerto Rican elections, the FS endorsed the Puerto Rican Independence Party. In the 2004 elections, the Socialist Front promoted a voting boycott but condemned the MINH's support for the pro-Commonwealth Popular Democratic Party (PPD). Furthermore, the Socialist Front sustained and nurtured its decades-long alliance with the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party and the Puerto Rican Independence Party (PIP).
- Somocurcio, Monica. "Socialist Front conference honors strike leaders". www.workers.org. Archived from the original on 9 April 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Puerto Rico: For Mass Action Against U.S. Imperialism". www.marxists.org. Summer 2000. Archived from the original on 13 February 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Soto, Tom (12 September 2006). "Socialist and working class leader is remembered". www.workers.org. Archived from the original on 10 April 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "PSL message to the Socialist Front of Puerto Rico on the death of Jorge Farinacci". 27 August 2006. Archived from the original on 11 August 2017. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Puerto Rican Independence Group to Show Support for Venezuela". www.telesurtv.net. 22 July 2017. Archived from the original on 1 August 2017. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "The Socialist Front condemns the acts of terrorism that caused the deaths of innocent people". www.latinamericanstudies.org. 12 September 2001. Archived from the original on 10 June 2017. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- (in Spanish) Frente Socialista
- (in Spanish) Refundación Comunista
- (in English) Working Group on Puerto Rico
- Jorge Farinacci on the assassination of Filiberto Ojeda Ríos (Democracy Now!, 29 September 2005)