Società Italiana Ernesto Breda
Air force trainers
|Subsidiaries||Breda Meccanica Bresciana |
Società Italiana Ernesto Breda, more usually referred to simply as Breda, is an Italian mechanical manufacturing company founded by Ernesto Breda in Milan in 1886.
The firm was founded by Ernesto Breda in Milan in 1886. It originally manufactured locomotives and other railway machinery, but later branched out into armaments and aircraft. Occasionally, not continuously, the company also built trolleybuses. In 1935, it acquired the railway division of Officine Ferroviarie Meridionali and, soon afterwards, the aircraft division of the same company.
Breda-designed machine guns such as the Breda Model 30 and Breda Model 37 were standard issue weapons for the Royal Italian Army during the Second Italo-Abyssinian War, the Italian Invasion of Albania and World War 2.
In 1962, Breda was nationalised as part of EFIM, but was liquidated in the 1990s. The train and tram manufacturing division fused with Ansaldo to form AnsaldoBreda, the armaments division became an independent entity as Breda Meccanica Bresciana, as did the research division as Istituto Scientifico Breda.
Rolling stock products
- South African Class 15CA 4-8-2
- SEK class Μα
- HŽ series 1061
DMU and EMU
Tram and light rail
The production of trolleybuses was a small part of Breda's output, carried out through its subsidiary Breda Costruzioni Ferroviarie (it), and was not under way continuously. Between 1936 and 1940, the company built a total of 28 trolleybuses, most for the Rome system but including six for Genoa. At various times between 1938 and 1956, more trolleybuses were built, but totalling only 16. Production resumed in 1988. Almost all of Breda's customers for trolleybuses were Italian trolleybus systems, but a notable exception was an order of 236 dual-mode buses that Breda built for the Seattle system between 1988 and 1991.
- Luigi Giugni, Le imprese a partecipazione statale, Naples, Jovene, 1972
- Pasquale Saraceno, Il sistema delle imprese a partecipazione statale nell'esperienza italiana, Milano, Giuffrè, 1975
- Bruno Amoroso - Ole Jess Olsen, Lo stato imprenditore, Bari, Laterza, 1978
- Nico Perrone, Il dissesto programmato. Le partecipazioni statali nel sistema di consenso democristiano, Bari, Dedalo, 1991
- Nico Perrone, Italian and American Patterns in a Conflictive Development, Roskilde, Roskilde Universitetscenter, 1992
- La Breda produce, mostra fotografica, dal sito dell’Istituto per la Storia dell’Età Contemporanea 
- La linea del fuoco
- Gunston, Bill (1993). World Encyclopedia of Aircraft Manufacturers. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press. p. 56.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Breda (Milan).|
- Fondazione Isec - Breda (in Italian)
- Mostra fotografica online Fondazione Isec - La Breda produce (in Italian)
- Treccani.it BREDA, Ernesto (in Italian)