Society for American Archaeology
The Society for American Archaeology (SAA) is the largest organization of professional archaeologists of the Americas in the world. The Society was founded in 1934 and today has over 7000 members. Diane Gifford-Gonzalez is currently the President-elect for SAA. The Society holds an annual conference and publishes the flagship journal of American archaeology, American Antiquity. The journal Latin American Antiquity is also published by the SAA. The SAA has also published an in-house journal, which has gone through several changes of name. The Bulletin of the Society for American Archaeology was replaced by the SAA Bulletin in 1990, which in turn was superseded by The SAA Archaeological Record in 2001.
The headquarters of the Society are in Washington, D.C..
The SAA supports a variety of professional and public activities, best summed up in their Mission Statement. They aim to:
- expand understanding and appreciation of humanity's past as achieved through systematic investigation of the archaeological record,
- promote research, stewardship of archaeological resources, public and professional education, and the dissemination of knowledge, and
- serve the public interest.
Annual Meeting Locations
The first annual meeting took place in December 1935 in Andover, Massachusetts, and has taken place every year since. Only one meeting, the 8th annual meeting of 1943, did not physically take place. According to the most recent annual meeting program book, "because of travel difficulties & other wartime restrictions, the 1943 Annual Meeting was conducted by mail". The table below shows the meeting locations and dates since the year 2000. The SAA's next annual meeting will take place April 23-27, 2014 in Austin, Texas.
|79th||Austin, Texas||April 23-27, 2014|
|78th||Honolulu, Hawaii||April 3-7, 2013|
|77th||Memphis, Tennessee||April 18–22, 2012|
|76th||Sacramento, California||March 30 - April 3, 2011|
|75th||St. Louis, Missouri||April 14–18, 2010|
|74th||Atlanta, Georgia||April 22–26, 2009|
|73rd||Vancouver, British Columbia||March 26–30, 2008|
|72nd||Austin, Texas||April 25–29, 2007|
|71st||San Juan, Puerto Rico||April 2006|
|70th||Salt Lake City, Utah||March–April 2005|
|69th||Montreal, Quebec||March–April 2004|
|68th||Milwaukee, Wisconsin||April 2003|
|67th||Denver, Colorado||March 2002|
|66th||New Orleans, Louisiana||April 2001|
|65th||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||April 2000|
The SAA is publishing several journals:
- American Antiquity
- Latin American Antiquity
- Advances in Archaeological Practice: A Journal of the Society for American Archaeology
- Society for American Archaeology (2008)
- Program of the 73rd annual meeting, Washington, D.C.: Society for American Archaeology, 2008
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- The Society for American Archaeology http://www.saa.org/