Society for Educational Visits and Exchanges in Canada
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2013)|
Bilingual Exchange Secretariat
|Type||Charitable, educational exchanges|
SEVEC is a national charitable organization which facilitates youth exchanges, educational visits, and roundtables. SEVEC has existed since 1936. However, prior to 1981, it was 2 distinct organizations: Visites Interprovinciales and Bilingual Exchange Secretariat. SEVEC publicly goes by its acronym rather than the longer version of its name which is "The Society for Educational Visits and Exchanges in Canada" or "Société éducative de visites et d'échanges au Canada" in French.
The programs they offer are for young Canadians between the ages of 12 and 17 and include:
- Group Youth Exchanges, where groups of students are twinned with other students from a different part of the country for the exchange, which typically lasts for 1 week although month-long summer language programs for groups are also possible. The students' travel costs are subsidized by the Department of Canadian Heritage. Each year just under 5000 youth and their chaperones travel through the program. The many exchange possibilities include:
- School Year and Summer Group Exchanges
- Aboriginal Exchanges
- Volunteer Youth Exchanges
- Youth Educational Roundtables and Forums
SEVEC offers two awards to recognize the volunteer contributions and program excellence of the educators and youth group leaders who coordinate youth exchanges. The SEVEC Ambassador Award honours one organizer each year for their exemplary leadership and ability to inspire others to organize and lead youth exchanges. The SEVEC History Award is a special Award presented annually in partnership with Canada's History as part of the Governor General's Awards to a group organizer for excellence in developing a trip program that highlights Canada's history and heritage for participants.
- SEVEC web site
- Government of Canada, Canadian Heritage: "SEVEC Youth Exchanges Canada"
- Girl Guides Partnership with SEVEC
- Governor General's History AwardsGovernor General's Awards
|This Canadian school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|