Society for Risk Analysis
|Legal status||Registered charity|
|Purpose||Provide an open forum for all those who are interested in risk analysis and promote advancement of the state-of-the-art in research and education on risk analysis|
The Society for Risk Analysis (SRA) is a learned society providing an open forum for anyone interested in risk analysis. It seeks to: provide an avenue for individuals (from different disciplines from various corners of the globe) to discuss ideas and information as well as methodologies for analyzing risk and solving related issues and problems; promote understanding and encourage collaboration among professionals and organisations relevant to analyzing risk and providing solutions; disseminate and promote risk (methods) knowledge and their applications in research and education; and serve its members in developing and furthering their careers in risk analysis.
In early 1979, Robert B. Cumming recognized the growing need for risk researchers and practitioners to publish their work in a dedicated scientific journal. This led to the formation of an organization to support such a journal, with the certificate of incorporation for the SRA made official on August 28, 1980. The first issue of Risk Analysis appeared in March 1981.
SRA's interests: risk analysis among others
SRA broadly defines risk analysis to include risk assessment, risk characterization, risk communication, risk management, and policy relating to risk. The society's interests include: risk perception, risks to human health and the environment, both built and natural; threats from physical, chemical, and biological agents and from a variety of human activities as well as natural events; and risks of concern to individuals, to public and private sector organizations, and to society at various geographic scales.
Since the first awards were given in 1984, SRA continues to value outstanding contributions to the society and to the field of risk analysis. The following are its most-sought annual awards:
Distinguished Achievement Award. This award is given to any individual for his or her extraordinary achievement in science or public policy relevant to the field of risk analysis.
Richard J Burk Outstanding Service Award. A recognition to the society's member for extraordinary service to SRA.
Outstanding Practitioner Award. Award alternately given to a member in public and private practice for an outstanding practice in the field of risk analysis.
Chauncey Starr Distinguished Young Risk Analyst Award. For an outstanding risk-analysis-related achievement in science or public policy by SRA's member (of 40 years of age or below) and exceptional promise for continued contributions to risk analysis.
Distinguished Educator Award. Awarded to an outstanding teacher, author or mentor for substantial training of new experts in risk analysis.
The following are the past presidents of the society:
- Ortwinn Renn (2013-2014)
- George Gray (2012-2013)
- Ann Bostrom (2011-2012)
- R. Davidson (2010-2011)
- R. Reiss (2009-2010)
- A. Cullen (2008-2009)
- J. Wiener(2007-2008)
- K. Thompson(2006-2007)
- C. Frey (2005-2006)
- Baruch Fischhoff (2004-2005)
- C. Chess (2003-2004)
- B. Goldstein (2002-2003)
- Robin Cantor (2001-2002)
- J. Ahearne (2000-2001)
- Roger E. Kasperson (1999-2000)
- G. Charnley (1998-1999)
- Y. Haimes (1997-1998)
- R. Zimmerman (1996-1997)
- J. Graham (1995-1996)
- M. E. Pate-Cornell (1994-1995)
- R. G. Tardiff (1993-1994)
- J. D. Wilson (1992-1993)
- D. W. North (1991-1992)
- Curtis C. Travis (1990-1991)
- B. John Garrick (1989-1990)
- R. C. Schwing (1988-1989)
- Vincent T. Covello (1987-1988)
- Paul F. Deisler, Jr. (1986-1987)
- Lester B. Lave (1985-1986)
- Elizabeth L. Anderson (1984-1985)
- Paul Slovic (1983-1984)
- Chris G. Whipple (1982-1983)
- Robert B. Cumming (1981-1982)
- "About the Society for Risk Analysis". Association for Risk Analysis. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Thompson, Kimberly M.; Deisler, Paul F.; Schwing, Richard C. (2005). "Interdisciplinary Vision: The First 25 Years of the Society for Risk Analysis (SRA), 1980-2005". Risk Analysis. 25 (6): 1333–86. doi:10.1111/j.1539-6924.2005.00702.x. PMID 16506968.
- "Awards". Society for Risk Analysis. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Past Officers and Councilors". Society for Risk Analysis. Retrieved 30 September 2015.