Society of Cannabis Clinicians
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Tod H. Mikuriya|
|Jeffrey Hergenrather MD Genester Wilson King Stephen Robinson MD Dustin Sulak DO Fred Gardner|
The Society of Cannabis Clinicians (SCC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to educating physicians about the medical use of cannabis. Its mission is to unite into one association members of the various medical specialties and allied professionals with this common purpose. The goals of the Society are as follows:
- Expansion of knowledge on the medical use of cannabis
- Facilitation of best practice standards for cannabis consultations
- To study, discuss and make recommendations relating to research, practice and policy in the medical use of cannabis
- To further the recruitment of medical graduates and able physicians willing to recommend cannabis to patients
- To maintain and advance the highest possible ideals and service standards in the education, practice and research in the medical use of cannabis
The group was established in 2004 by Tod Mikuriya, MD as a project of the California Cannabis Research Medical Group to facilitate voluntary medical standards for physician-approved cannabis under California law (HSC §11362.5).
SCC publishes their research findings, such as president Jeffrey Hergenrather MD's survey of patients with Crohn's disease, in the Journal of Cannabis in Clinical Practice O'Shaughnessy and is in the process of developing an online research archive. They hold quarterly meetings of physicians and allied professionals featuring presentations by leading clinicians, researchers, and legal experts in the medical cannabis field.
In 2015, SCC launched the first online Medical Cannabis Continuing Education program, worth 12 CME credits, which in sequential order, a series of 12 courses designed to take a practicing clinician from the basics of the plant, its history and the underlying physiologic (endocannabinoid) system to the pharmacology and clinical practice of medical cannabis.
- Gardner, Fred 2012
- Hergenrather, Jeffrey 2013
- Gardner, Fred (2012). "SCC/O'Shaughnessy's Backstory" O'Shaugnessy's Journal of Cannabis in Clinical Practice
- Hergenrather, Jeffrey (2013). "Survey of Cannabis Use for Crohn's Disease" O'Shaugnessy's Journal of Cannabis in Clinical Practice