Society of Janus
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Society of Janus is a San Francisco, California based BDSM education and support group, and is the second oldest BDSM organization in the United States. It was founded in August 1974 by the late Cynthia Slater and Larry Olsen. Cynthia Slater is honored with a metal bootprint displaying her name and a short statement about her as part of the art known as the San Francisco South of Market Leather History Alley.
The Society of Janus is nonprofit, volunteer run and is devoted to the art of safe, consensual and non-exploitative adult power exchange. They publish a bimonthly newsletter called Growing Pains and a monthly schedule of BDSM events called Rapid Release which are mailed to members.
In 2014, the Society of Janus held their 40th Anniversary Dinner, Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony & Play Party, which was awarded "Best Organization Anniversary Event" at The SF Leather Community Awards for that year.
- Cindy (17 July 2017). "Ringold Alley's Leather Memoir". Public Art and Architecture for Around the World.
- Paull, Laura. "Honoring gay leather culture with art installation in SoMa alleyway – J". Jweekly.com. Retrieved 2018-06-23.
- "Awards & Archives", San Francisco Bay Area Leather Alliance 
- "Gyllenhaal Is Exceptional In "Secretary"". Contra Costa Times. September 27, 2002. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Bulwa, Demian (September 29, 2008). "S.F. kinky naked romp a spanking success". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "They're Into Leather, And They Aren't Hiding". San Jose Mercury News. March 26, 1989. p. 8B. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Chadburn, Alissa. "The domme next door Arts and crafts, magic wands, and the Palmolive of sex – Mistress Morgana brings S-M to the masses". San Francisco Bay Guardian. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
|This BDSM-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|