Society of the Plastics Industry
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Founded in 1937, the Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. was a professional society representing individuals in the plastics industry. In 2010, the organization began doing business as SPI: The Plastics Industry Trade Association, before changing its name to the Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS). PLASTICS members represent the entire plastics industry supply chain in the U.S., including processors, machinery and equipment manufacturers, raw materials suppliers, recyclers and brand owners.
PLASTICS also publishes statistical reports on the U.S. plastics industry, including:
PLASTICS' Committee on Equipment Statistics also produces annual and quarterly reports on shipments in plastics manufacturing machinery.
As the Society of the Plastics Industry, the organization introduced the Resin Identification Code in 1988 before turning control of the Code over to ASTM International. This system was introduced to make separation of the many similar-appearing plastic resin types easier for plastic recycling centers across the country. There was no federal legislation or program to mandate these symbols, though many states have now adopted legislation that mandate its use.
- PLASTICS (2016-12-04). "Our Rebrand". The Plastics Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "SPI's new name and look to 'evolve the way people think about plastics' - Plastics News". Plastics News. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "NPE2015: The International Plastics Showcase". Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Admin, Client (2016-11-01). "Size and Impact of Plastics Industry on the U.S. Economy". The Plastics Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- Admin, Client (2016-11-01). "Global Trends". The Plastics Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- Admin, Client (2016-11-01). "Committee on Equipment Statistics (CES)". The Plastics Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- To promote the advancement of plastics machinery manufacturing industry
- SPI's triennial global trade show: NPE
- Plastics Data Source
|This industry-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|