|• Governor||Ramzi Bin Mahroos Al-Socotri|
Since before British rule, Socotra had been part of the Mahra Sultanate, and remained so after Mahra became part of Aden Protectorate. With the independence of South Yemen in 1967, the archipelago was attached to the Aden Governorate, despite its distance. In 2004, it was moved to the Hadhramaut Governorate. Since December 2013, it has been a governorate of its own.
On April 30, 2018, the United Arab Emirates, as part of the ongoing Yemen Civil War, deployed troops and took administrative control of Socotra Airport and seaport. On May 14, 2018, Saudi troops were also deployed on the island and a deal was brokered between the United Arab Emirates and Yemen for a joint military training exercise and the return of administrative control of Socotra's airport and seaport to Yemen.
The archipelago consists of four large islands, socotra, Abd al Kuri, Samhah, and Darsah, as well as 3 small islets to the north of the archipelago.
|Island name||Coordinates||area (km2||population|
|Abd al Kuri||130.2||450|
|Ka'l Fir'awn (north)||0.17||0|
|Ka'l Fir'awn (south)||0.12||0|
- Hidaybu District (consisting of the eastern two-thirds of Socotra Island)
- Qulensya Wa Abd Al Kuri District (consisting of the western third of Socotra Island, together with Abd al-Kuri island, Hamha Island and (uninhabited) Darsa Island)
- Abulohoom, Ali (29 October 2013). "INDEPENDENT SOCOTRA GOVERNORATE: PAVING THE WAY FOR A FEDERAL YEMEN OR A HINT AT SEPARATION?". Yemen Times. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Yaseen, Mohammad (14 May 2014). "Socotra, promising tourist site facing challenges". Saba News Agency. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- "Yemen officials say Emiratis boost forces on Socotra island". The Washington Post.
- "SOCOTRA: HOW A STRATEGIC ISLAND BECAME PART OF A GULF POWER STRUGGLE". Jerusalem Post.
- "Yemen PM: Crisis over UAE deployment to Socotra over". Al Jazeera.
- "Yemen, UAE Agree on Deal Over Socotra". Albawaba News.
- "Saudi Arabia deploys troops to Yemen's Socotra after UAE's military build-up". Press TV.