|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
Amarabati More is a busy crossing on 6 no. Barasat road at Sodepur.
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Dum Dum|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Panihati|
Sodepur is a place in north Kolkata (formerly Calcutta). It is a part of Panihati municipality under Barrackpur sub-division of the state of West Bengal. It is a part of the area covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Transport
- 4 Education & Employment
- 5 Banks
- 6 External links
There once was a community named Sayyid in this area from which the place was known as Sayyidpur or Sodepur. Sodepur in the Barrackpore subdivision, is historically famous for the Khadi Prathistan where historic decisions with regard to freedom struggle were taken by Gandhiji and other great leaders like Subhas Chandra Bose. In 1921, Satish Chandra Dasgupta, eminent chemist, resigned from Bengal Chemicals influenced by the Gandhian thought of Swadeshi and set up the Ashram. This ashram near the Sodepur Railway Station has a special place in the history of the Indian independence movement. Mahatma Gandhi called this ashram his second home and stayed there at various times (1939, 1945, 1946, 1947).
Sodepur has a police outpost of its own and it falls under the jurisdiction of Khardaha and Ghola Police station.
Sodepur is located at  It has an average elevation of 15 m (49 ft)..
Sodepur is well connected by the Eastern Railway suburban network. The B.T. road which passes through the heart of the city also provides ample scopes for road transport.
- 56 Howrah Station – Ruiya Pubapara
- 78 Esplanade – Barrackpur Court
- 78C/1 Barasat – Dakshineshwar
- 78E Bongaon – Dakshineshwar
- 78/1 Babughat – Rahara Bazar/Parthapur
- 81/1 Barasat – Rajchandrapur
- 214 B.B.D.Bagh – Sajirhat
- 214A Esplanade – Sodepur Girja
Bus Routes without Numbers
- Salap – Barrackpur Court
- Mourigram – Barrackpur Court
- Barasat – Dakshineshwar
- Madhyamgram – Howrah Station
- Barasat – Matapara
DN Series of Routes
MM Series of Routes
K Series of Routes
JM Series of Routes
STA Bus Routes
WBSTC Franchisee Bus Routes
CSTC Bus Routes
- S11 Nilgunge – Esplanade
- S32 Howrah Station – Barrackpur Court
- AC20 Barrackpore Court – Santragachi (AC Bus) morning 8 AM to 9 AM and afternoon 2pm to 3Pm. Evening the bus plys from BBD Bag to Dunlop.
- E32 Howrah Station – Barrackpur Court (Standing not Allowed)
CTC Bus Routes
Education & Employment
The oldest school at Sodepur is [Sodepur High School] which is affiliated to West Bengal Board. It was established in 1853.. The other schools here are:
- Sodepur High School affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali Medium)
- Natagarh Sri Sri Ramkrishna Vidyamandir(Ramkrishnapur)
affiliated toWest Bengal Board (Bengali Medium)
- Swami Vivekananda Seva Sumity vidyalaya (Buniyadi School) affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali Medium)
- Chandrachur Vidyapith (Boys), Girls and Primary) affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali Medium)
- sukchar karmadaksha chandrachur vidyayatan (for boys), and Primary) affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali Medium)
- sukchar satadal balika vidyayatan(for girls), and Primary) affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali Medium)
- Desbandhu Sikshyatan affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali Medium),
- Central Point School affiliated to CISCE Board (English Medium),
- Park Institution affiliated to CISCE Board (English Medium).
- National Model School, H.B. Town affiliated to CISCE Board (English Medium).
- St. Pauls, Amrabati, affiliated to CISCE Board (English Medium).
- St. Xavier's Institution, affiliated to CISCE
In the area of Higher Education, there are many colleges:
- Panihati College, affiliated to West Bengal State University,
- Guru Nanak Institute of Technology
- Guru Nanak Institute of Hotel Management
- GURU NANAK INSTITUTE OF DENTAL SCIENCE & RESEARCH and HOSPITAL
- Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology
Banks located here are:
- Axis Bank
- HDFC Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- State Bank of India
- Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- United Bank of India
- Union Bank of India
- Allahabad Bank
- Central Bank of India
- ICICI Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- UCO Bank
- IDBI Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Indian Bank
- Andhra Bank
- central bank
- "Base Map of Kolkata Metropolitan area". Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Sodepur
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sodepur.|
Adjacent places of Sodepur