This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
Amarabati More is a busy crossing on 6 no. Barasat road at Sodepur.
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Dum Dum|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Panihati|
There was once a community named Sayyid in this area from which the place was known as Sayyidpur or Sodepur. Sodepur in the Barrackpore subdivision is historically famous for the Khadi Prathistan where historic decisions with regard to freedom struggle were taken by Gandhiji and other great leaders like Subhas Chandra Bose. In 1921, Satish Chandra Dasgupta, eminent chemist, resigned from Bengal Chemicals influenced by the Gandhian thought of Swadeshi and set up the ashram. This ashram near the Sodepur Railway Station has a special place in the history of the Indian independence movement. Mahatma Gandhi called this ashram his second home and stayed there at various times (1939, 1945, 1946, 1947).
Sodepur has a police outpost of its own and it falls under the jurisdiction of Khardaha and Ghola Police station.
Sodepur is located at  It has an average elevation of 15 m (49 ft)..
Kolkata Urban Agglomeration
The following Municipalities, Census Towns and other locations in Barrackpore subdivision were part of Kolkata Urban Agglomeration in the 2011 census: Kanchrapara (M), Jetia (CT), Halisahar (M), Balibhara (CT), Naihati (M), Bhatpara (M), Kaugachhi (CT), Garshyamnagar (CT), Garulia (M), Ichhapur Defence Estate (CT), North Barrackpur (M), Barrackpur Cantonment (CB), Barrackpore (M), Jafarpur (CT), Ruiya (CT), Titagarh (M), Khardaha (M), Bandipur (CT), Panihati (M), Muragachha (CT) New Barrackpore (M), Chandpur (CT), Talbandha (CT), Patulia (CT), Kamarhati (M), Baranagar (M), South Dumdum (M), North Dumdum (M), Dum Dum (M), Noapara (CT), Babanpur (CT), Teghari (CT), Nanna (OG), Chakla (OG), Srotribati (OG) and Panpur (OG).
Sodepur is a part of Panihati municipality.
Sodepur is well connected by the Eastern Railway suburban network. The B.T. road which passes through the heart of the city also provides ample road transport.
- 56 Howrah Station – Ruiya Purbapara
- 78 Esplanade – Barrackpur Court
- 78C/1 Barasat – Dakshineshwar
- 78E Barasat – Dakshineshwar
- 78/1 Babughat – Rahara Bazar/Parthapur
- 81/1 Barasat – Rajchandrapur
- 214 Babughat – Sajirhat
- 214A Esplanade – Sodepur Girja
Bus routes without numbers
- Salap – Barrackpur Court
- Mourigram – Barrackpur Court
- Barasat – Dakshineshwar
- Madhyamgram – Howrah Station
- Barasat – Matapara
DN series of routes
- DN43 Barasat Checkpost – Dakshineshwar
MM series of routes
- MM3 Dakshineshwar – Duttapukur
K series of routes
JM series of routes
STA bus routes
CSTC bus routes
- S11 Nilgunge – Esplanade
- S32 Howrah Station – Barrackpur Court
- AC20 Barrackpore Court – Santragachi (AC Bus) 8 AM to 9 AM and afternoon 2pm to 3Pm. Evening the bus plies from BBD Bag to Dunlop.
- E32 Howrah Station – Barrackpur Court (standing not allowed)
CTC bus routes
- C28 Howrah Station – Barrackpur Court
- C45 Ghola – Howrah
- C50 Howrah Station – Shyamnagar
- E33 Habra - Antpur
- D13 Domjur – Barrackpore
The other schools here are:
- Natagarh Sri Sri Ramkrishna Vidyamandir (Ramkrishnapur), affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali medium)
- Swami Vivekananda Seva Sumity Vidhyalaya (Buniyadi School), affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali medium)
- Chandrachur Vidyapith, for boys, girls and primary, affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali medium)
- Sukchar Karmadaksha Chandrachur Vidyayatan, for boys, and primary, affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali medium)
- Sukchar Satadal balika vidyayatan, for girls, and primary, affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali medium)
- Desbandhu Sikshyatan, affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali medium)
- Sushil Chandra Balika Vidyalay, affiliated to West Bengal Board (Bengali medium)
- Central Point School affiliated to CISCE Board (English medium)
- Park Institution, affiliated to CISCE Board (English medium)
- National Model School, H.B. Town, affiliated to CISCE Board (English medium)
- St. Pauls, Amrabati, affiliated to CISCE Board (English medium)
- St. Xavier's Institution, affiliated to CISCE
In the area of higher education, there are many colleges:
- Panihati College, affiliated to West Bengal State University, government-aided
- Guru Nanak Institute of Technology, private
- Guru Nanak Institute of Hotel Management, private
- Guru Nanak Institute of Dental Science & Research and Hospital, private
- Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, private
- JIS University, private
The Skill Institute offers new approach to creating more employable youth in Bengal, by using a three-pronged approach of policy aggregation, skill development and job creation. It was started by London School of Economics and University College London alumni.
Banks located here are:
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Axis Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Central Bank
- Central Bank of India
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- IDBI Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- State Bank of India
- UCO Bank
- Union Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- Punjab National Bank
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Sodepur
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Constituents of Urban Agglomeration Having Population Above 1 Lakh. Census of India 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- ":: Welcome to Panihati Municipality ::". Panihatimunicipality.in. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sodepur.|