Sofa (Canadian band)
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Genres||Noise rock, post-hardcore, post-rock|
|Years active||1993 – 1997|
|Labels||Rhyzome / Constellation|
|Associated acts||Silver Mt. Zion, Re:, The Delmarva Scheme, Quinimine, The Donkeys|
|Past members||Scott Clarkson
Sofa was a Montreal-based band that was active from 1993 to 1997. The group is best remembered for being the first group to release material on post-rock record label Constellation Records; bandmember Ian Ilavsky (later a member of Re: and Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band) was a co-founder of the label.
Most of Sofa's songs were written and played in a 10' x 10' room and were later presented in live shows, after which they were discarded. The band was made up of four members. They self-released two albums on cassette and with Constellation Records had two more releases (one 7" and one CD). The full-length, Grey, received positive reviews from several Canadian press outlets. One member of the band, Ian, is also the co-founder (along with Don) of Constellation Records, an independent record label.
Six months after the release of the full-length Grey, the group disbanded. The song "String of Lights" was included on the Constellation compilation disc Song of the Silent Land; one reviewer noted the song's "delicate emotion reminiscent of the Dirty Three".
- Scott Clarkson - bass
- Ian Ilavsky - guitar, organ, piano
- Keith Marchand - drums
- Brad Todd - voice, tape
- Test Tone (self-release/Rhyzome Records; 1994)
- Town Unsafe (self-release; 1995)
- Record (self-release; 1995)
- New Era Building (Constellation Records; 1997) - includes two songs from 'Record'
- Grey (Constellation Records; 1997)
- Review of Grey. Exclaim!. Mirror at Constellation website. Accessed January 30, 2008.
- Review of Grey. Vice. Mirror at Constellation website. Accessed January 30, 2008.
- Review of Grey. The Wire. Mirror at Constellation website. Accessed January 30, 2008.
- Review of Grey. Stylus Magazine. Mirror at Constellation website. Accessed January 30, 2008.
- Review of Grey. Almost Cool. Accessed January 30, 2008.
- Band history, Constellation Records
- "delicate emozioni che rimandano ai Dirty Three." - Review of Song of the Silent Land. Unmute. Accessed January 31, 2008.