Sofia Maldonado b., 1984, Puerto Rico. She lives and works in New York City. She is especially well known for her dramatic paintings. Her public work has garnered enormous controversy provocative nature. Maldonado is a leading contemporary artist that has collaborated with the Nuyorican Movement.
Sofia Maldonado was born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico. At a very young age, she manifested her love for art. It was at the Liga del Arte in Old San Juan where she took her first formal art classes. Later, she studied junior high and high school at Central High in Santurce, which specializes in Art.
She received a BFA from the Escuela de Artes Plásticas (2006) in San Juan, a Master of Fine Arts from the Pratt Institute in 2008, and was a fellow at the Vermont Studio Center. In 2008, Maldonado exhibited at Queens Museum. In 2009 Maldonado created a large scale public art work with Real Art Ways in Hartford, Connecticut. This artist, who shares her life between New York and her country, is very prolific and involved in numerous artistic and community projects with a social dimension.
The artist was selected by the Times Square Alliance to create a mural on 42nd Street in Manhattan in 2010. Her works are held in the collections of the Museo de Bellas Artes in Cuba; the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo in San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Rockefeller Brothers, New York, among others.
Maldonado has painted an expansive body of work including skateparks, murals, live painting performances, mix media, and video. Her work is inspired by dilapidated structures of the Caribbean, the Latina female character, and urban subcultures. Her work has been featured in solo exhibitions internationally, including Magnan Emrich, New York (2008), Witzenhausen Gallery, Amsterdam (2010), Museo de Arte Contemporáneo, Puerto Rico (2010), Magnan Metz Gallery, NY (2010), Ringling Museum, Sarasota (2011), and the University of Wisconsin, Madison (2011).
Book chapters and articles
-  Fever : Tropical Nostalgias and Urban Anxieties in Sofia Maldonado (June 24, 2012).
- "Arts Innovator: Sofia Maldonado, Puerto Rico." Americas Quarterly (Fall 2009).
- Daley, Anna. "That's Not Us." Art21 Blog, April 5, 2010.
- Delgado, Cindy. "Sofia Maldonado: Beauty In Naughtiness." Rubyhornet April 29, 2010.
- McLendon, Matthew. Beyond Bling: Voices of Hip Hop in Art. Scala Publishers, 2011. ISBN 1-85759-697-8
- Morrison, Sarah. "Sofia Maldonado Gets Pretty/Hood in Times Square." (video and article) 80sPurple.
- Nogueras, Celina. Frescos: 50 Puerto Rican Artists under 35. Actar, 2011. ISBN 0-9815255-8-X
- Rivera, Raquel Z. "Sofia's Gatas / Las gatas de Sofía." Reggaetonica July 8, 2009.
- "Tropical Storm: Gowanus – Sofia Maldonado and Cre8tive YouTH*ink." (video) cre8tive YouTH*ink. June 13, 2011.
- "Vigoroso Letargo: Sofía Maldonado y Darren Brass hablarán hoy, a las 7:00 p.m., de historia y memoria en el MAC." El Nuevo Día, July 28, 2010.
Into Gray, Magnan Metz Gallery, New York, NY
Fever: Tropical Nostalgias and Urban Anxieties in Sofia Maldonado, Museo Arte Contemporaneo de Puerto Rico Isaac Lincoln Gallery at Northern State University, Aberdeen, SD
Disillusions, Studio Theater Gallery, Middlesex County College, Edison, NJ University of Wisconsin, Madison Cornell, Fine Arts Museum Rollins College, Winterpark, FL
Concrete Jungle Divas, Magnan Metz Gallery, New York, NY Witzenhausen Gallery, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Times Square Alliance Mural Project, New York, NY CIRCA Puerto Rico, Magnan Metz Gallery, New York, NY
Graffiti Gone Global (during Art Basel Miami), Sushi Samba, Miami, FL Taller Puertorriqueno, Philadelphia, PA Skate my Patria, part of the Tenth Havana Biennial, Havana, Cuba CIRCA Puerto Rico, Magnan Projects, New York, NY
Pinta, Special Artist Project, New York, NY
The Tropical Storm, Magnan Gallery New York, NY
Sofia... en la isla, Galeria Candela San Juan, Puerto Rico
Wood in Contemporary Art, Craft & Design, Museum of Arts and Design, New York, NY
Purple, Causey Contemporary, Brooklyn, NY Concrete Illusions: Public and Private Spaces in Puerto Rico: Exploring the urban dimensions of the Caribbean, La Galeria de IBA at the Villa Victoria Center for the Arts, Boston, MA
The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, FL The (S) Files, El Museo Bienal, New York, NY
Eames Inspirations, Barney, New York, NY Paper olls, M.I.S.S in association with Fifty24 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
"The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly", Queens museum of Art, New York Girl by Girls, SPacejunk Gallery, St. Maurice; Bayone; and Grenoble, France Hybridity, SOMArts Cultural Center, San Francisco, CA
V Certamen de Pintura Diputacion de Castellon, Spain En Sus Marcuas, Institiuto de Cultura Puertorriquena, Puerto Rico Younity: Heart and Soul, Alphabeta, Greenpoint, NY Graduate Show '08, Pratt Manhattan Gallery, NY MFA Exchange, Virginia Commonwealth, Richmond, VA
M4 Design Project, Design District, Miami, FL Coca Cola Graffiti Series, Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, Santurce, Puerto Rico Hoy, Black Box Art Foundation, San Juan, Puerto Rico
São Paulo - Sao Juan, (with Os Gemeos, Dzine & Cudy Hudson) Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico Paint Flash, Montana Gallery, Sevilla, Spain Returned Mail, Galeria Carlos Irizarry, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Mural Painting, Galeria Comercial, Santurce, Puerto Rico Sofia, Cafe Seda, San Juan, Puerto Rico Nothing, Tag Rom, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico Annual Exhibition, Escuela de Artes Plásticas, San Juan, Puerto Rico Juni, Bik, Sofia, Galeria Carlos Irizarry, Puerto Rico Papa Jac Collectable Series, Don Pablo, Puerto Rico
Truck (at Luna St.), Sin Titulo Galeria de Arte Contemporaneo, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Rockefeller Brothers Fund an Times Square Alliance, public project, NY
Cuban Artist Fund, studio program at Chashama, NY Vermont Studio Center, Vermont
Against the grain
- "Vermont Studio Center".
- "Real Public".
- Ramírez Aponte, Marianne. "Fever : Tropical Nostalgias and Urban Anxieties in Sofia Maldonado". This artist, who shares her life between New York and her country, is very prolific and involved in numerous artistic and community projects with a social dimension. Her murals, her immediately-recognizable style and her freshness make her one of the “the most well-known young artists in Puerto Rico, with an accelerated trajectory who puts forward the themes and work techniques of many emerging artists”, the director of the MAC Marianne Ramírez Aponte adds.
- "Art In America".
- "Bling Bling Chicas".
- "Beyond Bling".
- Kousha, Kevin. "The Badger Herald". Get ‘(R)amped’ up for sk8-inspired art.