Mechetner in 2019
|Born||4 December 2000|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Agency||DNA Model Management (New York) |
VIVA Model Management (Paris)
R&R By Roberto & Rotem (Tel Aviv) 
Sofia Mechetner (Hebrew: סופי מצ'טנר / סופיה מצטנר; born 4 December 2000) is an Israeli model and the current face of Dior. In July 2015, at the age 14, she was chosen to be the face of Dior. In her first modelling job, Mechetner opened the Dior Haute Couture Fall Winter 2015/2016 Show at Paris Fashion Week, and in October of the same year she opened the Dior Spring Summer 2016 Show at Paris Fashion Week. Her 1 million Shekel (roughly 250,000 USD) annual contract with Dior was renewed for a second year in 2016.
In 2017, she signed an additional contract to work for Chanel. In 2017, she walked for Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, Alexander McQueen, Mugler, Stella McCartney, Sonia Rikel, Eli Saab, Karl Lagerfeld, Valentino, and H&M, as well as taking part in an international advertising campaign for Ralph Lauren. In 2018, she became lead model for Topshop's F/W 2018 and S/S 2019 international campaigns. In 2019, she led the Tommy Hilfiger S/S campaign.
Early life and modeling career
|Sofia Mechetner for Chen Shapira and Anastasia Shmuelov|
Mechetner was born in Holon, Israel, to parents who immigrated from then Soviet Russia. Her parents divorced and her father left the family when she was 10. She was chosen to be Dior's leading model after she was spotted by Dior's lead designer Raf Simons in Paris. In her first contract for Dior (her first ever modelling job), she was paid over $265,000, which she shared with her family, saying of her paycheck, "I just put it on the table and they can use it." She plans to use her modelling income to help her mother, who she considers to be her personal hero, saying: “She works so hard for the family. She always supports and takes care of me, my little sister, and my little brother. Together we all try to help so that it will be easier for our mom”.
As part of her contract, she is expected to travel to Paris four times a year for modelling campaigns. But she will continue at school in Israel, saying, “It is very important for me to continue to go to school." While working as a model she will be accompanied by a chaperone from Israel at all times, until she is 18. Her chaperone Rotem Gur makes sure she is accompanied for every moment while working.
In February 2016, she won a second contract of NIS 1 million, to lead Dior's 'Ready-to-wear' and international sunglasses campaigns – making her one of Israel's most highly paid models, while her Israeli best friend, 15 year old Dorit Revelis, reportedly won a contract with Yves Saint Laurent.
Despite her career, back in Israel she still helps her mother to clean houses. When not taking part in modelling campaigns, she lives the same life as before she was discovered: "I get up in the morning, help to organize my little sister Nicole (11) and my little brother Max (9), my mother goes to work as a cleaner and I go to school. When I get home from school, I'm sitting under a blanket and watching TV, talking with friends, go to the garden or to someone's house, return and do my homework and go to bed. Once the school principal said hello to me when she saw me in the hallway, but other than that I really feel normal in school, like everyone else." The modelling income has allowed the family to rent a more spacious apartment in Holon.
In 2017, she walked for Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, Alexander McQueen, Mugler, Stella McCartney, Sonia Rikel, Eli Saab, Karl Lagerfeld, Valentino, and H&M, as well as taking part in an international advertising campaign for the Ralph Lauren Autumn/Winter campaign.
In 2018, she was cover model for Elle France in April, cover model for Telva magazine, cover model for Russh, editorial model in Vogue Espana, walked for Lacoste, and led the international campaign for Marc Jacobs Daisy fragrances alongside Kaia Gerber, she also led the Fall/Winter campaign for Elie Saab signed to take part in an international campaign for H&M, and for Ralph Lauren Polo. In her international campaign for H&M, her image was projected onto New York's Times Square. In 2018, she became lead model for Topshop's F/W 2018 and S/S 2019 campaigns. In 2019, she led the Tommy Jeans S/S campaign.
Since 2017, she is in relationship with her Israeli boyfriend Tomer Telias.
In 2019, Mechetner who is not halachically Jewish, said that she undoubtedly will convert to Judaism, saying, "I feel as Jewish as ever. I light Shabbat candles, and I totally belong to this country [of Israel]."
- Ruth Eglash (July 12, 2015). "How a 14-year-old Israeli became the new face of Christian Dior". The Washington Post.
- מי תהיה סופיה מצטנר הבאה? חמש המועמדות בנות ה-15
- Israeli Teen Escapes Poverty to Become Runway Sensation Created: February 01, 2017
- On the map: Sophia in H & M, Dorit in Calvin Klein By Michal Israel, 19 October 2017, Mako
- Dilone, Duckie, Anwar: Topshop Recruits An All-Star Model Line-Up For AW18 Friday 12 October 2018
- TOP 10 DENIM CAMPAIGNS FOR SPRING/SUMMER '19 March 01, 2019
- "14-year old Israeli to be the new face of Christian Dior". Al Arabiya News. July 11, 2015.
- "Israeli teen is the 'new face' of Dior". i24news. July 11, 2015.
- Israel's rising supermodel: Meet the new face of Dior Jerusalem Post, By TAMARA ZIEVE, 07/16/2015
- Janelle Okwodu (July 16, 2015). "Meet Raf Simons' New Dior Muse". Style.com.
- Dior's pretty new face? An unknown Israeli teen model, By Itay Stern, Haaretz, July 13, 2015
- Hadas Bashan (November 26, 2015). "I'm not Cinderella".
- "Sofia Mechetner". Roberto Model Management. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Adva Dadon (July 11, 2015). "From Housecleaning to the Summit of World Fashion" (in Hebrew). Israel's Channel 2 News.
- החוזה סופי: סופיה מצ'טנר תוביל את קמפיין משקפי השמש של דיור Walla יום ראשון, 21 בפברואר 2016, 12:40
- POLO Ralph Lauren Autumn-Winter 2017
- Miri, this is for you: Watch Sofia Mechetner occupies Times Square From Fashion Forward 7 June 2018
- "חודש לפני הגיוס לצה"ל סופיה מצ'טנר מצטלמת ולא נחה". ATmag.
- Model Directories