Sopho Nizharadze in Oslo (2010)
|Native name||სოფო ნიჟარაძე|
|Birth name||Sopho Nizharadze|
6 February 1986 |
Tbilisi, Georgian SSR, Soviet Union
|Genres||Pop, soul, musical|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, actress, songwriter|
Sopho "Sofia" Nizharadze (Georgian: სოფო ნიჟარაძე, IPA: [sɔpʰɔ niʒarad͡zɛ]; born 6 February 1986 in Tbilisi, Georgian SSR, USSR) is a Georgian singer, actress, and songwriter who represented Georgia in the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 with the song Shine. Sofia Nizharadze was the judge of the TV show Georgia's Got Talent.
Born in Tbilisi, Georgia, Sofia started singing before she started talking. Her mother who was a big push to her in her singing career. Sofia graduated with honors from the Musical Academy under the Tbilisi State Conservatory where she studied piano and vocals. She later continued her studies at the Academy of Theatre and Arts in Russia (GITIS) and graduated with honors from the GNESINY Academy of Music in Moscow.
Through her singing she has brought an international attention to Georgia.
Nizharadze was born in Tbilisi and started singing from an early age, something that was encouraged by her mother. She studied piano and vocals in the Tbilisi State Conservatory, graduated with honors, and later continued her studies at the theatre of Arts GITIS, Moscow. She also graduated with honors from the Gnessin State Musical College, Moscow. She has a younger brother.
Sofia's vocal range is light lyric soprano.
At the age of three, Nizharadze started performing as a professional with very positive reception. At the age of seven she was invited by Jansug Kakhidze, a prominent Georgian conductor and author of famous sound tracks for Georgian cinema, to join a children’s music studio where she took the lead as a vocalist for various shows and TV projects.
When she reached 17 years old, Nizharadze had won several international young singer's contests, including the "Bravo, Bravissimo!" competition in Mini La Scala (Italy), "Crystal Note" (Moscow, Russia), "Crystal Fur-tree" (Borjomi, Georgia). She participated in several festivals in Russia, Turkey, Italy, Latvia and Georgia.
Later, she took the leading parts in the musicals “The Wedding Of The Jays” and ”Roméo et Juliette, de la Haine à l'Amour”. Living in Moscow at that moment she started gaining international recognition as a singer.
In 2004, she got a main part in Gerard Presgurvic's musical (Original Russian Version, Operetta Theatre, leading cast). In 2005, she reached the final in the New Wave Festival in Jūrmala, Latvia.
In 2008, Nizharadze gave up her career in Russia and returned to Georgia as a consequence of the war between the two countries, and started a career in Georgia.
She performed The National Anthem of United States of America during the official visit of Vice President Joe Biden to Georgia.
Eurovision Song Contest 2010
Sofia Nizharadze was internally chosen by GPB to represent Georgia in the Eurovision Song Contest 2010. An open call for songs was launched, and over 100 entries submitted, the broadcasting authorities selected six, that were all performed by her in a national final on 27 February in the Tbilisi Even Hall. Shine was voted as the winner.
2010: After Eurovision
Nizharadze will plan her new album release, and new songs for it. She will also continue promoting her Eurovision entry in Georgia. Sofia actively participates in many concerts and shows in Europe and Asia. She sang duets with legendary José Carreras, Andrea Bocelli, Chris de Burgh and Julio Iglesias. in 2013 she recorded single "When We Danced" and on which a music video was made with the participation of the king of flamenco Joaquin Cortes. She released a new album with this single and also with Eurovision Song Contest hit "Shine" in March 2014. In 2016 she will take part as judge at the Georgian format of X Factor with Nika Gvaramia, Nina Sublatti and Giorgi Gabunia.
Awards and achievements
- 1995- “Crystal fir tree”, the international festival nominated at the “Best Vocal” category
- 1996- Special award – “The League”, the first Georgian festival; award owner at the festival Mini La Scala
- 1997- Participant of “Crystal note” International Festival in Moscow (850 anniversary of Moscow city)
- 1999- Diploma of the First category for the best vocal within the frame of the festival “Pushkin weeks”; Diploma of the Tbilisi Mayor’s Office for the “Unique vocal features”
- 1998- 2001- Scholarship of President Eduard Shevardnadze
- 2000- “Golden Star” for the best vocal granted by Forte Cinematographic Studio and Star Scale Studio
- 2003- 2004 – Leading part in the musical “The Wedding of the Jays”
- 2004- 2006- Leading part on “Romeo et Juliette” The Musical
- 2005- Participant, a finalist of the young pop star contest at the New Wave Festival
- 2005- 2007- Takes leading parts in shows and production of RATI; was invited for Esmeralda part to the Musical Notre dame De Paris
- 2010 performed a duet with Jose Carreras, extract from the West Side Story musical
- 2010 performed with Chris De Burgh
- 2011 performed with the world class tenor Andrea Bocelli
- 2012 performed a duet with Julio Iglesias
The main role in the first Georgian musical Keto and Kote One of the main roles in Rezo Gigineishvili Movie "Love With An Accent" Тhe film's release 2013
- 2012- 2013 - Leading role in Redha Bentifour's musical Melodies of Vera District
- 2013 she recorded single "When We Danced" and a music video with the participation of the king of flamenco Joaquin Cortes
- 2014 The Blue Bird[disambiguation needed] The Musical (The movie version)
- Musical Svadba Soek “The Wedding Of The Jays” (Ketevan - main role)
- Musical Romeo & Juliette - Juliet (Original Russian Main Cast)
- Musical Hello, Dolly (RATI)
- The Wedding Of The Jays Original Cast Recording (2003)
- Musical Romeo & Juliette "Ot Nenavisti Do Lubvi" Original Cast Recording (2005)
- Where are you... (2008)
|3.||""Where Are You...""|
|4.||""Leave Me Alone""|
|5.||""I'm Running Away""|
|6.||""Over and Over""|
|7.||""Leave Me Alone (rmx)""|
|8.||""Over and Over (rmx)""|
- "We Are All" (2014)
|1.||""No Way Out""|
|3.||""Why Won't You Love Me""|
|4.||""When We Danced""|
|5.||""We Are All""|
|6.||""Without Your Love""|
|7.||""The Reason I Go On""|
|9.||""So In Love""|
|11.||""Without Your Love (Remix)""|
|12.||""Two of a Kind""|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sopho Nizharadze.|
- Sofia Nizharadze Official Website
- Official Facebook Page
- The Sofia Nizharadze official myspace
- Sofia Nizharadze official Eurovision.Tv page
- www.sofianizharadze.ru Russian/English site
|Awards and achievements|
with Peace Will Come
|Georgia in the Eurovision Song Contest
with One More Day