Software Freedom Conservancy
|Founded||April 7, 2006|
|Karen Sandler (executive director)|
Bradley M. Kuhn (president)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) is an organization that provides a non-profit home and infrastructure support, including legal services, for free/open source software projects. The organization was established in 2006, with the help of the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC). As of June 2018, the organization had over 40 member projects.
In October 2010, Conservancy hired its first Executive Director, Bradley M. Kuhn and a year later, its first General Counsel, Tony Sebro. In May 2012, Conservancy took on GPL compliance and enforcement for several other member projects, as well as for a number of individual Linux kernel developers. In March 2014, Conservancy appointed Karen Sandler as its Executive Director, with Bradley M. Kuhn taking on the role as Distinguished Technologist.
In May 2016, Yorba Foundation assigned the copyrights of the projects it has developed to Software Freedom Conservancy. This includes copyrights for Shotwell, Geary, Valencia, gexiv2. California is absent of the bundle because of an oversight on Yorba's part.
- Bro Network Security Monitor
- Debian Copyright Aggregation Project
- GPL Compliance Project for Linux Developers
- Harvey OS
- Linux XIA
- North Bay Python
- Reproducible Builds
- Sugar Labs
- Teaching Open Source
These projects have since been removed from the Software Freedom Conservancy's current project list since 2016:
The Board Secretary is Karen Sandler.
Past directors include:
In March 2015, Conservancy announced it was funding litigation by Christoph Hellwig against VMware for violation of his copyrights in its ESXi product. The case will be heard in the district court of Hamburg, Germany. VMware stated that it believed the case was without merit and expressed disappointment that Conservancy had resorted to litigation.
- "Current Projects - Software Freedom Conservancy". sfconservancy.org. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "SFLC Files Bizarre Legal Action Against Its Former Client". Software Freedom Conservancy. Retrieved November 4, 2017.
- "Mozilla Grants: Software Freedom Conservancy". Mozilla.org. Mozilla Foundation. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Simon Phipps (June 1, 2012). "Why the GPL licensing cops are the good guys". Infoworld. Retrieved June 3, 2012.
- "Software Freedom Conservancy Appoints Full-Time Executive Director". October 4, 2010.
- "Tony Sebro Joins Conservancy as General Counsel". September 30, 2011. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- Brian Proffitt (May 29, 2012). "Linux kernel devs, Samba join GPL compliance effort". IT World. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Conservancy Projects Launch Coordinated Free Software Compliance Efforts". Software Freedom Conservancy. May 29, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Karen Sandler joins Conservancy's Management Team". March 31, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Bhati, Monika (April 1, 2014). "Karen Sandler resigns as GNOME Foundation's executive director". Muktware. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Outreach Program to Join Conservancy from GNOME; Program Renames to Outreachy". Software Freedom Conservancy. February 4, 2015. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Current Member Projects - Software Freedom Conservancy". Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Yorba Assigns Shotwell and Geary Copyrights to Software Freedom Conservancy". May 10, 2016. Retrieved November 17, 2015.
- "Re: Yorba status - Geary article". June 26, 2016. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- Brockmeier, Joe 'Zonker' (June 16, 2011). "Evergreen Joins the Software Freedom Conservancy". Linux.com.
- Brockmeier, Joe (January 18, 2011). "Software Freedom Conservancy adds 25th member project: Things looking bright for Conservancy". Network World. IDG Communications, Inc.
- Brockmeier, Joe (January 18, 2011). "Software Freedom Conservancy adds 25th member project". Dissociated Press. Archived from the original on November 27, 2011.
- "Git and Software Freedom Conservancy". Git. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "Godot Joins Software Freedom Conservancy". Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "Metalink Joins Software Freedom Conservancy". Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- "Reproducible Builds joins the Software Freedom Conservancy". Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Foresight Linux Previously appeared as Current Member Project, archived from the original on 2016-10-06, retrieved 2018-06-07
- "Directors: Software Freedom Conservancy". Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "Officers - Software Freedom Conservancy". Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "Conservancy Receives Default Judgment For BusyBox GPL Enforcement". Software Freedom Conservancy. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- "Conservancy Announces Funding for GPL Compliance Lawsuit". Software Freedom Conservancy. Retrieved March 7, 2015.
- Phipps, Simon (March 5, 2015). "VMware heads to court over GPL violations". InfoWorld. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- "VMware Update to Mr. Hellwig's Legal Proceedings". VMware. Retrieved March 11, 2015.