Software quality assurance
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|IEEE software life cycle|
Software quality assurance (SQA) is a means of monitoring the software engineering processes and methods used in a project to ensure proper quality.:10-5 This is accomplished by many and varied approaches. It may include ensuring conformance to standards or models, such as ISO 9000 or CMMI.
It includes standards and procedures that administrators may use to review and audit software products and activities to verify that the software meets standards. According to ISO/IEC 15504 v.2.5 (SPICE), it is a supporting process that provides the independent assurance that all work products, activities and processes comply with the predefined plans and ISO 15504.
SQA encompasses the entire software development process, including requirements definition, software design, coding, code reviews, source code control, software configuration management, testing, release management and product integration. It is organized into goals, commitments, abilities, activities, measurements and verification.
SQA involves a three-prong approach:
- Organization-wide policies, procedures and standards
- Project-specific policies, procedures and standards
- Compliance to appropriate procedures
Standards for software quality assurance plans are defined in ISO 9000-3 (original), now ISO 90003ANSI/IEEE. External entities can be contracted to verify that projects are standard-compliant.
Quality assurance activities take place at each phase of development. Analysts use application technology to achieve high-quality specifications and designs. Technicians find problems with related software quality through meetings. Tests are created by developers and/or dedicated testers for each significant use case. Standards violations are identified and addressed throughout development. Product or program managers ensure that feature, architecture and component changes are made only after appropriate review. The team monitors statistics about defect discovery, severity and fix rates.
- Quality assurance
- Quality by Design
- Software assurance
- Software quality analyst
- Software quality management
- Software quality
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Software quality assurance.|
- Bourque, Pierre; Fairley, Richard E., eds. (2014). Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge (SWEBOK Guide): Version 3.0 (PDF). IEEE Computer Society. ISBN 978-0-7695-5166-1. Archived (PDF) from the original on 15 May 2020. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- Kelemen, Zádor Dániel; Kusters, Rob; Trienekens Jos Identifying criteria for multimodel software process improvement solutions – based on a review of current problems and initiatives
- Nielsen, David CMM and Project Quality Management
- 730-2014 – IEEE Standard for Software Quality Assurance Processes. 2014. doi:10.1109/IEEESTD.2014.6835311. ISBN 978-0-7381-9168-3.
- April, Alain (2018). Software Quality Assurance. Wiley-IEEE. ISBN 978-1-118-50182-5.
- Chemuturi, Murali (2010). Software Quality Assurance: Best Practices, Tools and Techniques for Software Developers. J.Ross Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60427-032-7.
- Kelemen, Z. D.; Kusters, R.; Trienekens, J. (2012). "Identifying criteria for multimodel software process improvement solutions – based on a review of current problems and initiatives". Journal of Software: Evolution and Process. 24 (8): 895–909. doi:10.1002/smr.549.
- Auburn University Libraries. Auburn University Libraries / Illiad @ Auburn Libraries, onlinelibrary-wiley-com.spot.lib.auburn.edu/doi/10.1002/9781119312451.ch3.
- "Software Quality Assurance(SQA): Plan, Audit & Review." Meet Guru99 – Free Training Tutorials & Video for IT Courses, www.guru99.com/software-quality-assurance-test-audit-review-makes-your-life-easy.html.
- Collofello, James S., and Jeffrey J. Buck. "Software Quality Assurance for Maintenance." IEEE Software, vol. 4, no. 5, Sept. 1987, p. 46. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1109/MS.1987.231418
- Parnas, David L., and Mark Lawford. "Inspection's Role in Software Quality Assurance." IEEE Software, vol. 20, no. 4, July 2003, p. 16. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1109/MS.2003.1207449.
- Laporte, Claude Y., and Alain April. Software Quality Assurance. IEEE Press, 2018.