Software testing outsourcing
Software Testing Outsourcing is software testing carried out by an independent company or a group of people not directly involved in the process of software development.
Software test is an essential phase of software development, however it is often viewed as a non-core activity for most organisations. Outsourcing enables an organisation to concentrate on its core development activities while external software testing experts handle the independent validation work. This offers many business benefits which include independent assessment leading to enhanced delivery confidence, reduced time to market, lower infrastructure investment, predictable software quality, de-risking of deadlines and increased time to focus on development.
Software Testing Outsourcing can come in different forms:
- Full outsourcing, insourcing or remote insourcing of the entire test process (strategy, planning, execution and closure), often referred to as a Managed Testing Service or dedicated testing teams.
- Provision of additional resources for major projects
- One-off test often related to load, stress or performance testing
- Beta User Acceptance Testing. Utilising specialist focus groups coordinated by an external organisation
Top established global outsourcing cities
According to Tholons Global Services - Top 50, in 2009, Top Established and Emerging Global Outsourcing Cities in Testing function were:
- Bengaluru, India
- Cebu City, Philippines
- Shanghai, China
- Beijing, China
- Kraków, Poland
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Vietnam has become a major player in software outsourcing. Ho Chi Minh City's ability to meet clients’ needs in scale and capacity, its maturing business environment, the country’s stability in political and labor conditions, its increasing number of English speakers and its high service-level maturity make it attractive to foreign interests.
Vietnam's software industry has maintained annual growth rate of 30-50% during the past 10 years. From 2002 to 2013 revenue of the software industry increased to nearly 3 US$ billion and the hardware industry increased to 36.8 US$ billion. Many Vietnamese enterprises have been granted international certificates (CMM) for their software development.
According to Global Services Location Index 2017 by A.T. Kearney, Vietnam ranks sixth in global software outsourcing market. Vietnam’s position in this year’s index reflects its growing popularity for Business process outsourcing (BPO). Its BPO industry earned US$2 billion in 2015 and has annually grown by 20-25% in the past decade.
Argentina’s software industry has experienced an exponential growth in the last decade, positioning itself as one of the strategic economic activities in the country. As Argentina is just one hour ahead of North America's east coast, communication takes place in real time. Argentina’s Internet culture and industry is one of the best, Facebook penetration in Argentina ranks 3rd worldwide and the country has the highest penetration of smart phones in Latin America (24%). Perhaps one of the most surprising facts is that the percentage that internet contributes to Argentina’s Gross National Product (2.2%) ranks 10th in the world.
- Vashistha, Avinash; Khan, Imrana (October 2009). "Top 50 Emerging Global Outsourcing Cities: A Global Services-Tholons Study" (pdf). Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- "Software outsourcing: Recovery and development". LogiGear Corporation. January 20, 2011. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Greene, Will (December 9, 2014). "Vietnam IT Services Climb the Value Chain". Forbes Media LLC. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- "Read @ATKearney: The Widening Impact of Automation". www.atkearney.com. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Argentina". New Media Trend Watch. December 17, 2008. Archived from the original on February 21, 2009.
- "Internet aportará u$s24.700 millones al PBI de la Argentina en 2016" (in Spanish). May 3, 2012. Archived from the original on May 5, 2012.