|• Total||67.57 km2 (26.09 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,090 m (3,580 ft)|
|• Density||2.5/km2 (6.4/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Avers, Bivio, Bondo, Castasegna, Piuro (Italy-SO), Stampa, Vicosoprano, Villa di Chiavenna (Italy-SO)|
Soglio is first mentioned in 1186 as de Solio.
Soglio has an area, as of 2006[update], of 67.6 km2 (26.1 sq mi). Of this area, 25.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 8.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.5% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (65.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is located in the Bergell sub-district of the Maloja district. It is located on a terrace at the entrance to the Passo della Duana which leads into the valley of Avers and the Passo da la Prasignola into the Val Madris. It consists of the village of Soglio (at 1,095 m (3,593 ft)) and the section of Spino.
Soglio lies on a ledge on the mountainside on the northern side of the Val Bregaglia (Bergell in German) above the river Maira (Mera in Italian), with views across the valley to the Bondasca glacier and the peaks of the Sciora group, Piz Cengalo and Piz Badile in the Bregaglia Range.
The town is 17 kilometers (11 mi) from the Italian town of Chiavenna at the foot of the Val Bregaglia, and 39 km (24 mi) from Sankt Moritz in the Engadine valley which is reached via the Maloja Pass. These two towns provide the nearest railway stations. The highest point of the territory of the municipality is the summit of Piz Duan (3,131 m (10,272 ft)).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 43.9% male and 56.1% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Soglio is; 8 children or 4.7% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 11 teenagers or 6.4% are 10 to 14, and 6 teenagers or 3.5% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 11 people or 6.4% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 14 people or 8.1% are 30 to 39, 32 people or 18.6% are 40 to 49, and 28 people or 16.3% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 17 people or 9.9% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 27 people or 15.7% are 70 to 79, there are 15 people or 8.7% who are 80 to 89, and there are 3 people or 1.7% who are 90 to 99.
Soglio has an unemployment rate of 0.2%. As of 2005[update], there were 18 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 9 businesses involved in this sector. 34 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 8 businesses in this sector. 140 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 15 businesses in this sector.
Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks Italian (80.2%), with German being second most common (17.4%) and English being third ( 1.7%). The majority of the population speaks the local dialect of Lombard .
|Languages in Soglio GR|
|Languages||Census 1980||Census 1990||Census 2000|
Soglio is the commune of origin for the Salis family, one of the oligarch families of the Grisons. There are several Salis houses in the village: Casa Alta; Casa Battista; Casa di Mezzo; and Casa Antonio. The Casa Battista is now a hotel – Hotel Palazzo Salis (formerly Pensione Willy) – while the others are tenements. For centuries the Salis family fortunes influenced the region, and the bars from the family arms are present in the coat of arms of the municipality, below the capricorn, which indicates church membership.
Heritage sites of national significance
Soglio has an average of 101.8 days of rain per year and on average receives 1,459 mm (57.4 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is May during which time Soglio receives an average of 179 mm (7.0 in) of precipitation. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 12.7 days. The driest month of the year is February with an average of 55 mm (2.2 in) of precipitation over 12.7 days.
- Soglio in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2011-09-04 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 19-Oct-2009
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 23 September 2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics Archived 2009-08-27 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden in Numbers Archived 2009-09-24 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance Archived 2009-05-01 at the Wayback Machine. 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 19-Oct-2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 1093 meters above sea level.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soglio, Switzerland.|