Sohail Inayatullah is a Pakistani-born Australian academic, futures studies researcher and a visiting professor at the Graduate Institute of Futures Studies at Tamkang University in Taipei, Taiwan.
Inayatullah is most famous for introducing and pioneering the futures technique of causal layered analysis, that uses a four-layered approach to bring about transformative change. He introduced the idea in a widely cited paper for Futures. He also edited and wrote the introductory chapter for the Causal Layered Analysis (CLA) Reader. He has also described the idea for a popular audience in an article for The Futurist and a TEDx talk.
Inayatullah's work on CLA was examined in a book by Jose W. Ramos in 2003.
In addition to his role at Tamkang University, Inayatullah is an Adjunct Professor, Centre for Policing, Intelligence and Counter-Terrorism, Macquarie University, Sydney, and Adjunct Professor at the University of the Sunshine Coast (Faculty of Social Sciences and the Arts).
Role in journals and web publications
Inayatullah is co-editor (along with Clement C. P. Chang and Jian-Bang Deng) of the Journal of Futures Studies, one of the top journals in futures studies. He is also associated editor of New Renaissance and is on the editorial boards of Futures, Development, Peace and Democracy in South Asia, and foresight.
Inayatullah also co-runs the website Metafuture.org with Ivana Milojevic.
- "Faculty, Graduate Institute of Futures Studies". Tamkang University. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Sohail Inayatullah". School of International Futures. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Chaudhary, Puruesh (11 January 2015). "The Pakistani Nostradamus". Dawn. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- Inayatullah, Sohail (January–February 2014). "Causal Layered Analysis Defined". The Futurist. World Future Society. 48 (1). Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Causal Layered Analysis". Scenarios for Sustainability Recipes. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Inayatullah, Sohail (October 1998). "Causal layered analysis: Poststructuralism as method" (PDF). Futures. 30 (8): 815–829. doi:10.1016/S0016-3287(98)00086-X. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "The Causal Layered Analysis (CLA) Reader: Theory and Case Studies of an Integrative and Transformative Methodology" (PDF). Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Inayatullah, Sohail (12 May 2013). "Causal Layered Analysis: Sohail Inayatullah at TEDxNoosa". Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Ramos, Jose W. (2003). "From critique to cultural recovery: critical futures studies and casual layered analysis". Australian Foresight Institute. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Sohail Inayatullah". Macquarie University. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Professor receives global futurist award". 19 January 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Editors". Journal of Futures Studies. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Articles by Sohail Inayatullah". New Renaissance Magazine. Renaissance Universal. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Futures Editorial Board". Futures, Elsevier. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Editorial team". foresight, Emerald Publishing Group. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Futures Studies by Sohail Inayatullah, Ivana Milojevic, and global futurists". Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Sohail Inayatullah's blog". World Future Society. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "WFSF Fellows". World Futures Studies Federation. Retrieved 2 July 2014.