Soho House (club)
|Type||Private members' club|
|Headquarters||72–74 Dean Street, London, England|
Soho House is a group of private members' clubs aimed primarily at those in the arts and media. The original location is at 40 Greek Street, Soho, London. The group now includes bars, clubs, hotels and venues around the world including Barcelona, Berlin, Chicago, Istanbul, Malibu, Miami, Mumbai, New York City, and West Hollywood.
Nick Jones sold 80% of the club to British high-street tycoon Richard Caring in 2008. On 13 January 2012 the Financial Times announced that Soho House Group had been acquired by the US billionaire Ron Burkle, through his investment fund Yucaipa. The acquisition value was not released, but Burkle now owns 60% of the group.
Private members' clubs
In popular culture
Soho House New York was featured in season 6 of the TV Series Sex and the City in an episode titled "Boy Interrupted". In this episode, Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall) pretends to be a member by using a stolen membership card. On 16 August 2017, the film Tulip Fever (starring Alicia Vikander) was first screened at London's Soho House.
In 2009, more than 80 residents signed an appeal by a neighborhood association against allowing Soho House to move into the top two floors of Luckman Plaza in West Hollywood, near Los Angeles. The opening of the West Hollywood location also drew opposition from Beverly Hills Mayor Nancy Krasne. In Amsterdam, the Netherlands, an attempt to open a new club also meets fierce protests.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soho House (club).|
- Ellis-Petersen, Hannah (30 October 2016). "Soho House struggles to maintain appeal for 'magic people'". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- Wong, Pamela (18 April 2017). "Members Only: Soho House Joins High-End Hotel, Condos In DUMBO – BKLYNER". BKLYNER. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- Baum, Gary. "L.A.'s Soho House Turns 5: Membership Rejections, Success Secrets Revealed in Oral History". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "Nick Jones – Caterer and Hotelkeeper". Caterersearch.com. 21 September 2006. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Addley, Esther (2012-01-13). "Soho House agrees £250m deal". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "US billionaire Burkle buys UK's Soho House". Financial Times ft.com. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Soho House Club Locations
- Freydkin, Donna (7 August 2003). "NYC's Soho House: Celebrity members only". USA Today. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Alicia Vikander goes glam in gothic gown as she leaves boyfriend Michael Fassbender at home to attend star-studded screening for Tulip Fever". The Daily Mail. 16 August 2017. Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- Alexandra Zavis, West Hollywood residents object to plans for new club Los Angeles Times, 16 August 2009.
- Sterre van der Hee,  Folia Civitatis, 23 juli 2017.