Soho House (club)
|Type||Private members' club|
|Headquarters||72-74 Dean Street, London, England|
Soho House is a group of private members' clubs aimed primarily at those in the arts and media. The original location is at 40 Greek Street, Soho, London, England and the group now includes bars, clubs, hotels and venues around the world including Babington House and Electric Cinema, Notting Hill.
Membership is selective and its members drawn mainly from the media, arts or fashion industries. Members are purged regularly, since the club aims to maintain the right balance of people. The club targets candidates under 27 years, although older people can apply too.
On 13 January 2012, the Financial Times announced that Soho House Group had been acquired by the US billionaire Ron Burkle, through his investment fund Yucaipa. The acquisition value was not released but Burkle now owns 60% of the group.
In the media
Soho House New York was featured in Season 6 of the TV Series Sex and the City in an episode titled Boy Interrupted. In this episode, Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall) pretends to be a member by using a stolen membership card.
In 2009, more than 80 residents signed an appeal by a neighborhood association against allowing Soho House to move into the top two floors of Luckman Plaza in Los Angeles' West Hollywood section. The opening of the West Hollywood location also drew opposition from Beverly Hills Mayor Nancy Krasne.
On 9 December 2010, swimwear designer Sylvie Cachay was found dead in a bathtub in a hotel room in the New York location. Her boyfriend at the time, Nicholas Brooks, was found guilty of murdering her.
In Gossip Girl Season 3 Episode 7 Soho House is mentioned. It's also referenced in contrast to Hamilton House in Season 4 Episode 5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soho House (club).|
- "Nick Jones - Caterer and Hotelkeeper". Caterersearch.com. 21 September 2006. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Tiku, Nitasha (4 October 2011). "For Soho House, The Tech Set Is The New Clubbable Class". The Observer. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "US billionaire Burkle buys UK’s Soho House". Financial Times ft.com. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Freydkin, Donna (7 August 2003). "NYC's Soho House: Celebrity members only". USA Today. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Alexandra Zavis (16 August 2009), West Hollywood residents object to plans for new club Los Angeles Times.
- Iaboni, Rande; Kristina Sgueglia (2013-09-23). "Boyfriend gets maximum sentence in swimsuit designer's murder". CNN.