|Operator||FSUE "Airport Magadan"|
|Elevation AMSL||574 ft / 175 m|
Sokol Airport (Russian: Аэропорт Сокол) (IATA: GDX, ICAO: UHMM) is an airport in Sokol in Magadan Oblast, Russia. The airport is located 70 km (43 mi) north of the Magadan city center. The airport is sometimes confused with Dolinsk-Sokol air base in Sakhalin Island, which was home to the fighters that shot down Korean Air Flight 007.
In 1991, the town gained exposure to the Western world with the inauguration of Alaska Airlines flights to the United States using McDonnell Douglas MD-80 jets. According to an anecdotal story published in the New York Times, the first Alaska Airlines flight needed deicing services, which were unavailable, so the flight crew acquired a quantity of vodka and sprayed it onto the wings. In 1995 the airline threatened to discontinue Russian service due to difficulties with contract workers. Alaska Airlines flights into Magadan and elsewhere in Russia were halted in October 1998 shortly after the 1998 Russian financial crisis, which rendered the routes unprofitable.
Aeroflot suspended flights to Sokol airport on February 1, 2009, due to the planned removal from service of the Tu-154 aircraft. Aeroflot cited the lack of certification of the airport in the acceptance and servicing of more modern aircraft, such as the Airbus A320 and Airbus A330, as the primary reason for the suspension of flights. It resumed service on March 30, 2009.
Airlines and destinations
operated by Aurora
operated by Rossiya
|IrAero||Irkutsk, Keperveyem, Khabarovsk, Severo-Evensk, Ulan-Ude|
|S7 Airlines||Irkutsk, Novosibirsk|
|SiLA Airlines||Omolon, Omsukchan, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Seymchan, Susuman|
|Yakutia Airlines||Anadyr, Yakutsk
Seasonal: Khabarovsk, Krasnodar, Novosibirsk, St. Petersburg
- Alaska Airlines Opens Russia's Wild East, James Brooke, New York Times, March 30, 1997.
- "Крайний рейс по маршруту "Магадан – Москва" авиакомпания "Трансаэро" выполнит 25 октября". Медиахолдинг PrimaMedia. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "С третьего мая авиакомпания “Россия” должна начать перевозить колымчан". КОЛЫМА.RU. 20 February 2016. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Расписание полётов из Улан-Удэ". Airport Baikal. 3 May 2014. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Открыта продажа билетов на рейс 539/540 Хабаровск-Магадан-Хабаровск". Yakutia Airlines. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Magadan Airport official website
- Airport information for UHMM at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- (Russian) Airport Magadan (Sokol) Aviateka.Handbook
|This article about an airport in Russia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|