Original film poster
|Directed by||Brian G. Hutton|
Jerry Gershwin (uncredited)
|Music by||Lalo Schifrin|
|Cinematography||Fred J. Koenekamp|
|Edited by||John McSweeney, Jr.|
Hall Bartlett Pictures Inc.
Sol Madrid is a 1968 film directed by Brian G. Hutton and filmed in Acapulco. It was released in the UK as The Heroin Gang. The MGM film starred *David McCallum, Stella Stevens, Telly Savalas and Ricardo Montalban with John Cassavetes being replaced by Rip Torn prior to filming. It was the final film of Paul Lukas.
Half a million dollars is stolen from the Mafia by small-time crook Harry Mitchell, who splits it with girlfriend Stacey Woodward and takes off for Acapulco.
The mob sends hit man Dano Villanova to deal with Harry and get the money back. Sol Madrid, an undercover narc, is out to find Harry first, hoping to persuade him to testify against organized crime in court.
Stacey happens to be Villanova's former girlfriend. Things get complicated in Mexico, where a heroin dealer named Dietrich is engaged in criminal activity while Mexican law official Jalisco is on the case. Before she can flee on a yacht, Stacey is taken captive by Villanova and shot up with dope until she's turned into an addict.
Harry is caught and killed. Jalisco isn't what he seems to be, so Madrid not only must deal with him, but with Villanova and Dietrich as well.
- David McCallum ... Sol Madrid
- Stella Stevens ... Stacey Woodward
- Telly Savalas ... Emil Dietrich
- Ricardo Montalban ... Jalisco
- Rip Torn ... Dano Villanova
- Pat Hingle ... Harry Mitchell
- Paul Lukas ... Capo Riccione
- Michael Ansara ... Capt. Ortega
- Michael Conrad ... Scarpi
|Soundtrack album by Lalo Schifrin|
November 9 & 10, 1967|
MGM Scoring Stage, Culver City, California
SE 4541 ST
|Lalo Schifrin chronology|
The film score was composed by Lalo Schifrin and the soundtrack album was released on the MGM label in 1968. An expanded edition of the soundtrack was released on by Film Score Monthly in 2010 as part of the 5 CD box set The Cininnatti Kid: Lalo Schifrin Film Scores Vol. 1 (1964-1968).
All compositions by Lalo Schifrin
- "Sol Madrid (Main Theme)" - 2:00
- "Fiesta" - 1:35
- "Stacey's Bolero" - 2:36
- "The Burning Candle" - 2:25
- "Adagietto" - 2:50
- "Sol Madrid (Main Theme)" - 1:55
- "The Golden Trip" - 2:35
- "Charanga" - 2:20
- "El Patio" - 2:25
- "Villanova's Villa" - 2:10
- "Bolero #2" - 2:07
- "Villanova's Chase" - 2:07
- Lalo Schifrin - composer, conductor
- Laurindo Almeida - guitar
- Unnamed Orchestra conducted by Robert Armbruster
- George del Barrio - orchestration
- Payne, D. Lalo Schifrin discography accessed March 19, 2012
- Film Score Monthly Website accessed March 19, 2012