Solace (2015 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Afonso Poyart|
|Edited by||Lucas Gonzaga|
|Distributed by||Relativity Media|
|Box office||$22.4 million|
Solace is a 2015 American mystery thriller film directed by Afonso Poyart and starring Anthony Hopkins, Colin Farrell, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Abbie Cornish. The film's script was originally planned and developed as a sequel to the 1995 thriller film Se7en, but the idea was eventually scrapped, and Solace was completed instead.
A psychic doctor, John Clancy (Anthony Hopkins), works with an FBI special agent (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) in search of serial killer Charles Ambrose (Colin Farrell). After having lived two years in isolation since the death of his daughter, Clancy is asked by his friend Joe, an FBI special agent, to help him solve several murders committed by a serial killer. The problem is that Ambrose is also psychic, and far ahead of Clancy.
- Anthony Hopkins as John Clancy
- Colin Farrell as Charles Ambrose
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Agent Joe Merriweather
- Abbie Cornish as Agent Katherine Cowles
- Jordan Woods-Robinson as Jeffrey Oldfield
- Kenny Johnson as David Raymond
- Janine Turner as Elizabeth Clancy
- Sharon Lawrence as Eleanor Muff
- Jose Pablo Cantillo as Sawyer
- Matt Gerald as Sloman
- Autumn Dial as Emma Clancy
- Joshua Close as Linus Harp
- Luisa Moraes as Victoria Raymond
The film made its premiere in Turkey on April 24, 2015 before receiving a screening at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2015. The film's North American release will be on September 2, 2016, making this Relativity Media's first release since the studio emerged from bankruptcy.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 26% based on 27 reviews, with a weighted average score of 4.4/10. On Metacritic, the film has a normalized score of 41% based on 4 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "BT to Score 'Solace'". Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "LA ENTRANCED, BI-COASTAL GIGS & A WORD WITH BT". Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Solace (15)". British Board of Film Classification. September 15, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2016.
- "Solace (2016)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- Upcoming Anthony Hopkins Thriller Solace Was Going To Be A Se7en Sequel At One Point Cinema Blend
- "Filming Locations and Casting Information for 'Solace', starring Anthony Hopkins & Colin Farrell, in Atlanta". onlocationvacations.com. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Afonso Poyart, de '2 Coelhos', estreia em Hollywood com 'Solace' (Portuguese interview)". VEJASP. 5 June 2013.
- "New Line in talks with Poyart to helm 'Solace'". Variety. 10 May 2012.
- ""Solace" with Anthony Hopkins and Colin Farrell filming in Atlanta". accessatlanta.com. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Lang, Brent (January 8, 2016). "Anthony Hopkins Serial Killer Thriller 'Solace' Gets Release Date (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- "Solace". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- "Solace Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 30, 2016.