Solace (2015 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Afonso Poyart|
|Edited by||Lucas Gonzaga|
|Distributed by||Lionsgate Premiere|
|Box office||$22.4 million|
Solace is a 2015 American mystery thriller film directed by Afonso Poyart and starring Anthony Hopkins, Colin Farrell, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Abbie Cornish. The film's script was originally planned and developed as a sequel to the 1995 thriller film Se7en, but the idea was eventually scrapped, and Solace was completed instead. The film was released on December 16, 2016, by Lionsgate Premiere. The film is about a psychic doctor, John Clancy (Anthony Hopkins), who works with an FBI special agent (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) in search of serial killer Charles Ambrose (Colin Farrell).
Having lived two years in isolation since the death of his daughter, psychic Dr. John Clancy is asked by his friend Joe Merriweather, an FBI special agent, to help him solve several murders committed by a serial killer. FBI special agent Dr. Katherine Cowles, Merriweather's partner, is skeptical about Clancy's gift, but soon comes to discover otherwise. When killer Charles Ambrose is eventually identified, the three race to stop him before he kills again.
- Anthony Hopkins as John Clancy
- Colin Farrell as Charles Ambrose
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Agent Joe Merriweather
- Abbie Cornish as Agent Katherine Cowles
- Jordan Woods-Robinson as Jeffrey Oldfield
- Marley Shelton as Laura Merriweather
- Xander Berkeley as Mr. Ellis
- Kenny Johnson as David Raymond
- Janine Turner as Elizabeth Clancy
- Sharon Lawrence as Eleanor Muff
- Jose Pablo Cantillo as Sawyer
- Matt Gerald as Sloman
- Autumn Dial as Emma Clancy
- Joshua Close as Linus Harp
- Luisa Moraes as Victoria Raymond
The film made its premiere in Turkey on April 24, 2015, before receiving a screening at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2015. The film was originally scheduled to be released on September 2, 2016, by Relativity Media. In October 2016, Lionsgate Premiere acquired U.S rights to the film, and set it for a December 16, 2016, release.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 26% based on 27 reviews and a weighted average score of 4.4/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 41% based on four critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Peter Debruge of Variety called it a "corny but clever serial killer thriller" whose cast makes the film work. Bernard Besserglik of The Hollywood Reporter wrote that the film is not as good as its inspiration, but the chemistry between Hopkins and Farrell makes it worth showing theatrically despite the film's reputation for having a troubled production.
- "BT to Score 'Solace'". Filmmusicreporter.com. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "LA ENTRANCED, BI-COASTAL GIGS & A WORD WITH BT". Djtimes.com. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Debruge, Peter (September 30, 2015). "Film Review: Solace". Variety. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Solace (15)". British Board of Film Classification. September 15, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2016.
- "Solace (2016)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- Upcoming Anthony Hopkins Thriller Solace Was Going To Be A Se7en Sequel At One Point Cinema Blend
- "Filming Locations and Casting Information for 'Solace', starring Anthony Hopkins & Colin Farrell, in Atlanta". onlocationvacations.com. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Afonso Poyart, de '2 Coelhos', estreia em Hollywood com 'Solace' (Portuguese interview)". VEJASP. 5 June 2013.
- "Hannibal Lecter will be the hero in Se7en sequel! – Moviehole". Moviehole.net. Retrieved September 9, 2017.
- "New Line in talks with Poyart to helm 'Solace'". Variety. 10 May 2012.
- ""Solace" with Anthony Hopkins and Colin Farrell filming in Atlanta". accessatlanta.com. May 30, 2013. Archived from the original on June 4, 2013. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- Lang, Brent (January 8, 2016). "Anthony Hopkins Serial Killer Thriller 'Solace' Gets Release Date (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (October 6, 2016). "Grindstone Lands Anthony Hopkins-Starrer 'Solace' As Pic Escapes Relativity Orbit". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- "Solace". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- "Solace Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 30, 2016.
- Besserglik, Bernard (September 9, 2015). "Solace: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 17, 2016.