This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A basic model of the solar powered fountain features a water pump connected to a solar panel. As there is no battery in the arrangement, the setup will not work during the night. It also may not work during cloudy conditions. If the application is intended to be used only during the day time, then this option is viable. If it is intended to be used in regions with overcast conditions, then the setup must include a battery bank which stores energy when sun is available, and uses it during cloudy weather and also during the night.
Floating pumps incorporating a solar panel can be used outdoors. The panels can also be installed separately, with connections running from the panel to the pump. Such types of fountains can be installed in shady regions and even indoors.
- As solar powered fountains utilize solar power, the utilized energy is free of cost.
- They are environmentally friendly.
- Electrical lines or extension cords need not be installed to power the fountain. Hence, installation is easier.
- The fountain has higher mobility as there are no external electrical connections.
- It requires very low maintenance.
- It also functions as a humidifier when used indoors.
- As the fountain uses solar panels, the cost is higher compared to conventional fountains.
- Solar powered fountains without battery banks cannot be used during night time.