The basic model features a water pump connected to a solar panel. With no battery, the setup will not work during the night and may not function during cloudy conditions. If the solar-powered fountain is intended to be used in regions with overcast conditions, then the setup must include a battery bank which stores energy when sun is available, and uses it during cloudy weather and the night.
Floating pumps incorporating a solar panel can be used outdoors. The panels can also be installed separately, with connections running from the panel to the pump. Such types of fountains can be installed in shady regions and even indoors.
- Utilizes free energy in the form of solar power.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Electrical lines or extension cords need not be installed to power the fountain. Hence, installation is easier.
- Higher mobility due to no external electrical connections.
- Requires very low maintenance.
- Functions as a humidifier when used indoors.
- Higher cost compared to conventional fountains due to solar panels.
- Requires battery banks to use during night time.