|Type||International Development charity|
|Focus||Solar market catalysation|
|Product||Solar lamps, lanterns and home-systems|
SolarAid is an international development charity which is working to create a sustainable market for solar lights in Africa. The organisation's aim is to reduce global poverty and climate change. SolarAid wholly owns an African social enterprise, SunnyMoney, the largest seller of solar lights in Africa. SolarAid was founded by Solarcentury, a solar energy company based in the UK.
Aims and focus
SolarAid aims to eradicate the kerosene lamp from Africa by 2020 through the creation of a sustainable market for solar lights. The charity's social enterprise, SunnyMoney, operates in East Africa, in Kenya, Zambia, Tanzania and Malawi. A pilot project has also been conducted in Senegal in West Africa.
In popular culture
In 2015, Indian Canadian singer Raghav released the single "Until the Sun Comes Up" in support of the SolarAid efforts. The single features also vocals from Indian film superstar actor Abhishek Bachchan and American rapper and singer Nelly.
- SunnyMoney official website
- TreeHugger: Small charity beats oil giant - Becomes lagest seller of solar ligghts in Africa
- GVEP International: Ashden award winner SolarAid makes lights available in rurla Senegal
- Giving: Global Impact Awards: SolarAid
- The Guardian: Sustainable Business - SolaAid brighter future for African communities
- Ashden.org: Winners - SolarAid