"Solar" (// or //) is a musical composition attributed to Miles Davis on the studio album Walkin' (1954), considered a modern jazz standard. The tune has been played and recorded by many musicians including his former bandmates/collaborators Lee Konitz, Bill Evans, Dave Holland, Keith Jarrett or Jack DeJohnette. A controversy exists over authorship of this composition; one current consensus holds that Davis' "Solar" is essentially an earlier song, "Sonny", written by Chuck Wayne. Dutch drummer and composer Pierre Courbois composed a tune called "RALOS" on the Solar chords in 7/4.
The first two measures of this song adorn Miles Davis' tombstone in Woodlawn Cemetery.
|A||CmMaj7||%||Cm7 or Gm7||Gm7 : C7|
|EbMaj7||Ebm7 : Ab7||DbMaj7||Dm7b5 : G7|
- Miles Davis - Walkin' (1957)
- Phil Woods and Gene Quill- Phil and Quill on Prestige (1957)
- Chet Baker - Chet Baker in New York (1958)
- The Mastersounds - Ballads & Blues (1959)
- Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (1961)
- Dave Holland - Emerald Tears (ECM, 1978), double bass solo
- John Scofield & John Abercrombie - Solar (1984)
- McCoy Tyner - Live at Sweet Basil (1989)
- Charlie Haden - The Montreal Tapes: with Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Paul Motian (1989)
- Pat Metheny - Question and Answer (1990)
- Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock & Jack DeJohnette - Tribute (ECM, 1992)
- Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock & Paul Motian - At the Deer Head Inn (ECM, 1994)
- Brad Mehldau - Art of the Trio, Vol. 4 (1999)
- Kenny Barron - Live At Bradley's (2001)
- Edgar Meyer, Béla Fleck - Music for Two (Sony Classical, 2004)
- Bruce Hornsby, Christian McBride & Jack DeJohnette - Camp Meeting (SonyBMG/Legacy, 2007)
- Eliane Elias - Something for You: Eliane Elias Sings & Plays Bill Evans (Blue Note, 2008)
- Stanley Clarke Trio - Jazz in the Garden (2009)
- Lee Konitz, Brad Mehldau, Charlie Haden & Paul Motian - Live at Birdland (ECM, 2011)
- Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock & Jack DeJohnette - Somewhere (ECM, 2013)
- Voce, Steve. Chuck Wayne Obituary. The Independent (London), 1997 August 1 (link). Accessed 6 August 2007
- Appelbaum, Larry. "Chuck Wayne, Sonny & Solar". In the Muse: Performing Arts Blog, Library of Congress. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- Pachet, François (February 2000). "Computer Analysis of Jazz Chord Sequences: Is Solar a Blues?" (PDF). Readings in Music and Artificial Intelligence.
- New Real Book Volume 1. New Real Book Volume 1. Petalnuma, CA: Sher Music Co., 1988