Energy in Algeria
Energy in Algeria describes energy and electricity production, consumption and import in Algeria. Energy policy of Algeria will describe the energy policy in the politics of Algeria more in detail. Algeria is an OPEC country.
Primary energy use in 2009 in Algeria was 462 TWh and 13 TWh per million persons.
|Energy in Algeria|
| Mtoe = 11.63 TWh
2012R = CO2 calculation criteria changed, numbers updated
Since 1995 Algeria operates research reactors at Draria and Aïn Oussera. It signed nuclear cooperation agreements with Russia in January 2007, with the United States in June 2007, and with China in March 2008. Algeria has discussed nuclear cooperation also with France.
Algeria is a member of OPEC . In 2008 Algeria was the top 7th oil products exporter. Less than 11% of worlds oil products were exported. Total world crude oil export was 1 952 Mt and oil products export 411 Mt in 2008.
Algeria has the highest technical and economical potential for solar power exploitation in the MENA region, with about 170 TWh per year. First industrial scale solar thermal power project has been initiated by inauguration of Hassi R'Mel power station in 2011. This new hybrid power plant combines a 25-megawatt (MW) concentrating solar power array in conjunction with a 130 MW combined cycle gas turbine plant.
In addition, Algeria has launched in 2011 a national program to develop renewable energy based on photovoltaics (PV), concentrated solar power (CSP) and wind power, and to promote energy efficiency. The program consists of installing up to 12 GW of power generating capacity from renewable sources to meet the domestic electricity demand by 2030.
|PV Power station||Capacity
in MW p
|High Plateaus East, Adrar||90||completed 2016, Built by Sinohydro Corp (PowerChina), Yingli Green Energy Holding, HydroChina, owned by SKTM (Sonelgaz) |
|High Plateaus Centre, Adrar||90||completed 2016, Built by Sinohydro Corp (PowerChina), Yingli Green Energy Holding, HydroChina, owned by SKTM (Sonelgaz) |
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Energy in Algeria.|
- IEA Key energy statistics 2011 Page: Country specific indicator numbers from page 48
- IEA Key World Energy Statistics Statistics 2015, 2014 (2012R as in November 2015 + 2012 as in March 2014 is comparable to previous years statistical calculation criteria, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 Archived 2013-10-07 at the Wayback Machine, 2006 Archived 2009-10-12 at the Wayback Machine IEA October, crude oil p.11, coal p. 13 gas p. 15
- IEA Key energy statistics 2010
- "Emerging Nuclear Energy Countries". World Nuclear Association. April 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-22.
- "Middle Eastern nations do nuclear diplomacy". World Nuclear News. 2008-03-25. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-11-30. Retrieved 2014-11-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Making Solar Bankable