|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by Ashford & Simpson|
|from the album Solid|
|B-side||"Solid (Dub version)"|
|Released||November 9, 1984|
|Format||7" vinyl, 12" vinyl|
|Length||5:12 (album version)
3:46 (single version)
3:21 (radio edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson|
|Producer(s)||Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson|
|Ashford & Simpson singles chronology|
It was written by the two and follows a similar template of most of their hits for other artists, except with a slight 1980s inflection to the music. In the lyrics, the narrators of the song celebrate the fact that, through all the difficulties and problems their relationship has faced, they made their love stronger by learning how to forgive and trust each other, and their love for one another remains "solid as a rock".
The video is set on a rainy afternoon in a park. Valerie Simpson exits a taxi in a park on a cloudy day, and escapes from a sudden downpour underneath a bridge. As she sings the opening of the song a cappella, she's joined by Nick Ashford, who joins in. As the video progresses, they're joined by others, including a cyclist in yellow spandex, a gang who just want to sing, and several bongo players, also trying to escape the downpour.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||21|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||4|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||2|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||3|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||1|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||3|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||12|
In other media
The song was featured during the closing credits of the 208th episode of Santa Barbara from 20 May 1985.
- Vozick-Levinson, Simon (January 16, 2009). "'Solid (As Barack)': Ashford & Simpson finally catch up on their DVR-ed 'SNL' episodes". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- music video in Dailymotion.com
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Austriancharts.at – Ashford & Simpson – Solid" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Ashford & Simpson – Solid" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Ashford & Simpson – Solid". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Ashford & Simpson – Solid". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Ashford & Simpson – Solid". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Ashford & Simpson – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Ashford & Simpson.
"I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
|New Zealand Singles Chart
15 March 1985 – 22 March 1985
"Shout" by Tears for Fears
|This 1980s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1980s R&B/soul music song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|