|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2015)|
|Headquarters||San Jose, California, U.S.|
|Tim Harris (CEO)
Ryan Benton (CFO)
SoloPower is a solar energy company developing and manufacturing Copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS) Thin-film flexible Photo-voltaic Solar Panels. The company uses a special electroplating technology to utilize nearly 100% of its materials.
SoloPower is based in San Jose, California, and has achieved the distinction of being the first company to obtain UL Certification of CIGS flexible solar panels in 2010. This was lauded as a significant achievement by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Later the same year, the company also received IEC Certification (IEC 61646 and 61730) of its flexible CIGS solar panels, again an industry first. In March 2012, the company's modules set a world record aperture efficiency of 13.4% for flexible CIGS Solar Panels, as measured by NREL.
In 2010, SoloPower held talks with the town of Wilsonville, Oregon to set up a manufacturing plant there. In 2011, the United States Department of Energy approved a $197 Million Loan Guarantee to the company, enabling a 400MW manufacturing plant in Oregon. In May 2011, SoloPower decided to move the manufacturing facility to Portland instead. In April, 2013, SoloPower announced plans to suspend operations at the Portland plant and gut the remaining workforce.
The Norwegian firms Convexa Capital, Spencer Energy and Scatec have invested approximately $30 Million into SoloPower in 2007. The United States Department of Energy has also funded the company. In early 2011, the company received $13.5 Million from Crosslink Capital. Lead investors in the company include Hudson Clean Energy Partners, Crosslink Capital, Convexa, and Firsthand.
- "Our Difference - SoloPower®". Solopower.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "SoloPower trumpets certification for flexible solar modules". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- SoloPower, Inc. (7 September 2010). "SoloPower Is First Ever to Receive UL Certification for a Flexible CIGS... -- SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/ --". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "SoloPower earns pair of IEC certifications for flexible CIGS thin-film PV module". Pv-tech.org. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Solar Cell Model Released By National Renewable Energy Laboratory". AustralianSolarQuotes.com.au. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Ampulse And NREL Working On Cheap ‘Solar Foil’". AustralianSolarQuotes.com.au. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Corporate - SoloPower®". Solopower.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Ehren Goossens (17 February 2011). "U.S. Offers $197 Million Loan Guarantee for SoloPower Plant in Oregon". Bloomberg. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "SoloPower to announce plans for $340 million North Portland solar panel plant". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "SoloPower moves to power down Portland factory, gut remaining workforce". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "SoloPower Receives TiE50 Award in Energy and Cleantech". Pv.energytrend.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Flexible solar panel maker SoloPower raises $13.5M". VentureBeat. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "SoloPower Sets Record for Flexible CIGS Solar Panel Efficiency". Eon.businesswire.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.