Solo (Australian soft drink)
|Country of origin||Australia|
Solo Lemon & Lime
Solo Low Carb
|Nutritional value per 1 can (375 mL)|
|Energy||788 kJ (188 kcal)|
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.|
Solo is an Australian lemon-flavoured soft drink manufactured by Schweppes Australia. Launched in 1973, it is a ready to drink version of traditional 'pub squash'. It is the market leader of lemon soft drinks in Australia and grew by over 30% in 2007.
The original Solo can was designed for DDB Needham Melbourne (Creative Director - Noel Schoelbridge) by Les Mason Design (Simon Josephson Designer and Bill Quan Production).
Positioned as a highly masculine drink, Solo's presents an overtly male image in it aggressive television commercials. Until the early 1990s, the Solo man character and slogans "The thirst crusher" and "Low on fizz, so you can slam it down fast" was used in advertising. The commercials often featured scenes of men taking part in activities such as athletics or extreme sports. Since becoming a sponsor of the Football Federation of Australia, the slogan "Game On" has been used.
Cadbury Schweppes sold a similar citrus drink named Rondo in the United States market during the late 1970s and 80s. Like Solo, Rondo's marketing was positioned as a similarly masculine drink. Its aggressive commercials were parodied in the 2006 film Idiocracy as "Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator".
Using the Australian Solo as an inspiration, Cadbury Schweppes has also sold an energy drink in the U.S. called Coolah Energy. It used the tagline "Energy from Down Under". It listed boronia as an ingredient, a citrus plant in Australia known more worldwide for use in floral arrangements than its fruit. Coolah Energy has since been discontinued.
- "Soft drink company's conduct fair - judge". The Sydney Morning Herald. 9 Aug 1978.
- FoodBev.com | Schweppes launches Solo Strong in Australia
- "Solo: "Drink For A Man Kind" TV Commercial by The Furnace | Creative Advertising & Commercials Archive. Awarded Ads database". Coloribus.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJSOaO7cAU, retrieved 2016-01-04 Missing or empty
- Solo | Game On
- "Our Clients - Schweppes Australia". BMF. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Schweppes brings back Solo Man". Mumbrella. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Aussie Food Shop: Australian Drinks | SCHWEPPES 1.25L Solo SELECTION
- Swenson Funnies Online | Coolah Energy Drink review
- EnOrgy: Coolah Energy | Energy from Down Under
|This soft drink–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|