Solo Wings Aquilla
|National origin||South Africa|
Bateleur Sky Sports
|Number built||40 (by 2000)|
US$13,650 (2000 price)
|Developed from||Solo Wings Windlass|
The Solo Wings Aquilla (English: Eagle) is a South African ultralight trike designed and produced by Solo Wings of Gillitts, KwaZulu-Natal. The aircraft was also sold in the United States by Bateleur Sky Sports of Palm Coast, Florida in the early 2000s, under their own name.
Design and development
The Aquilla was derived from the earlier Solo Wings Windlass and designed to comply with the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale microlight category, including the category's maximum gross weight of 450 kg (992 lb). The aircraft has a maximum gross weight of 450 kg (992 lb). It features a cable-braced hang glider-style high-wing, weight-shift controls, a two-seats-in-tandem open cockpit, tricycle landing gear and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft is made from tubing, with its wing covered in Dacron sailcloth. Its 34 ft (10.4 m) span wing is supported by a single tube-type kingpost and uses an "A" frame control bar. The landing gear includes suspension on all three wheels and a steerable nose wheel. The standard engine supplied is the Rotax 582 64 hp (48 kW) twin cylinder, two-stroke, liquid-cooled aircraft engine. The Rotax 503 50 hp (37 kW) air-cooled two-stroke engine and the four-stroke HKS 700E 60 hp (45 kW) and Rotax 912UL of 80 hp (60 kW) are also available. Wings used include the Aquilla 150 sq ft (14 m2) and 177 sq ft (16.4 m2).
Specifications (2000 model Bateleur Aquilla)
Data from Kitplanes
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Wingspan: 34 ft (10 m)
- Wing area: 150 sq ft (14 m2)
- Empty weight: 336 lb (152 kg)
- Gross weight: 776 lb (352 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 10 U.S. gallons (38 L; 8.3 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 503 twin cylinder, two-stroke, air-cooled aircraft engine, 50 hp (37 kW)
- Cruise speed: 62 mph (100 km/h; 54 kn)
- Service ceiling: 18,000 ft (5,500 m)
- Rate of climb: 550 ft/min (2.8 m/s)
- Cliche, Andre: Ultralight Aircraft Shopper's Guide 8th Edition, page C-30. Cybair Limited Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-9680628-1-4
- Downey, Julia: 2000 Trike and 'Chute Directory, Kitplanes, Volume 17, Number 2, February 2000, page 45. Kitplanes Acquisition Company. ISSN 0891-1851
- Bertrand, Noel; Rene Coulon; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04, page 110. Pagefast Ltd, Lancaster OK, 2003. ISSN 1368-485X
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 222. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Solo Wings (n.d.). "Products". Retrieved 31 January 2012.