Ceremonies may take almost exactly the same form as that of a regular marriage, including guests, cake, and a reception. Some self-marrying programs include giving guidance, practice, and support prior to the marriage.
Self-marriage has become increasingly popular in the 21st century, especially among affluent women. As of 2014[update] a travel agency in Kyoto was offering self-marriage packages for women, with some customers being wives who were disattisfied with their original wedding. British photographer Grace Gelder's self-marriage in 2014 and Italian fitness trainer Laura Mesi's self-marriage in 2017 have been widely reported.
In popular culture
In season 4 of The Exes, Holly Franklin decides to marry herself.
In the episode "Comet!" of Cow and Chicken, The Red Guy marries himself.
- Berg-Cross, Linda, et al. "Single professional women: A global phenomenon challenges and opportunities." Journal of International Women's Studies 5.5 (2013): 34-59.
- DePaulo, Bella (September 14, 2017). "Beyond Self-Love: What Marrying Yourself is Really All About". Psychology Today. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "About Self-Marriage". Self Marriage Ceremonies. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- Cagen, Sasha (2004). Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics. New York: HarperSanFrancisco. ISBN 9780060578985.
- Cooper, Desiree. "Finding yourself in self-marriage." Detroit Free Press.
- McMillan, Mike. "Self-Marriage". Archived from the original on 2009-10-25.[unreliable source?]
- "General and detailed instructions for the bride, groom and officant [sic] for completing the marriage license application and original certificate of marriage". Department of Health & Family Services, State of Wisconsin. Archived from the original on September 11, 2002.
- Tali, Didem (December 22, 2017). "Why growing numbers are saying 'yes' to themselves". BBC News.
- "Self Marriage Ceremonies - Peace in our hearts. Peace in the world". Self Marriage Ceremonies. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Burrows, Matt (October 6, 2017). "The ins and outs of marrying yourself". Newshub. New Zealand.
- "Japan: 'Solo weddings' for single women". News from Elsewhere (blog). BBC News. December 22, 2014. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Gelder, Grace; Cunard, Nick (October 4, 2014). "I married myself". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Bort, Ryan (September 27, 2017). "What Is Self-Marriage? Italian Woman Weds Herself in Lavish Ceremony". Newsweek. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Peretti, Jacques (March 24, 2000). "Electric dreams". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- Teeman, Tim (December 30, 2014). "Why Singles Should Say 'I Don't' to The Self-Marriage Movement". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- The dictionary definition of sologamist at Wiktionary