Thomas with 49ers in 2017
|No. 94 – San Francisco 49ers|
August 26, 1995|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||280 lb (127 kg)|
|High school:||Coppell (Coppell, Texas)|
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 3, 2018|
Solomon Christopher Thomas (born August 26, 1995) is an American football defensive end for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Stanford University, and was drafted by the 49ers with the third overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.
Thomas was born in Chicago, Illinois, on August 26, 1995. Thomas and his family moved to Sydney, Australia when he was two years old, where he lived for five years. He attended Coppell High School in Coppell, Texas. He had 78 tackles and 12.5 sacks as a senior and 89 tackles with 8.5 sacks as a junior. He was rated as a four-star recruit and was ranked among the top players in his class. He committed to Stanford University to play college football.
After redshirting his first year at Stanford in 2014, Thomas played in all 14 games in 2015, starting six, and had 39 total tackles, 10.5 tackles-for-loss, and 3.5 sacks. In recognition of his successful 2015 season, he was named as an honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection. In 2016, Thomas played and started all 13 games and had 62 total tackles with 15.0 TFL and 8.0 sacks. Thomas was named first team All-Pac-12 and won the Morris Trophy. Following the 2016 season, Thomas declared his intentions to enter the 2017 NFL Draft. He was selected 3rd overall in the draft by the San Francisco 49ers.
Coming out of Stanford, Thomas was projected to be a first round pick by the majority of analysts and scouts. He was invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, but only chose to participate in the bench, 40-yard dash, vertical, and broad jump. On March 23, 2017, Thomas attended Stanford's pro day, but opted to stand on his combine numbers and only performed positional drills. He was ranked the second best defensive end (behind Myles Garrett) by NFLDraftScout.com, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated. Pro Football Focus ranked him as the fourth best defensive end in the 2017 NFL Draft.
|Thomas' NFL Combine workout|
|Solomon Thomas' 40-yard dash|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in
|9 7⁄8 in
|4.69 s||1.66 s||4.28 s||6.95 s||35 in
|10 ft 6 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Thomas was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the first round with the third overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. He became the third consecutive defensive end drafted in the first round by the 49ers, joining Arik Armstead (2015) and DeForest Buckner (2016). The man who drafted Thomas, newly appointed 49ers general manager John Lynch had by chance studied alongside Thomas as a mature student while working as a broadcaster for FOX Sports, and counselled Thomas to leave Stanford without knowing he would be in a position to draft him as a member of the 49ers front office the following season.
|49ers select Solomon Thomas third overall|
|49ers call to draft Solomon Thomas|
- "2017 NFL Draft: San Francisco 49ers select Australian-raised giant Solomon Thomas as third overall pick". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- Recruit uses live tree, nerd glasses to tell us he’s going to Stanford
- Solomon Thomas leading Stanford defensive line through transition
- Instead of Christian McCaffrey, is Stanford’s best player DE Solomon Thomas?
- McCaffrey, Thomas named first team all-Pac-12 football
- Stanford's Thomas named Pac-12's Morris Trophy winner
- "Combine Player Profiles – Solomon Thomas". National Football League. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- Jeff Legwold (April 22, 2017). "Ranking the 2017's draft top 100 players". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- "Top 32 Prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft". profootballfocus.com. Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- Chris Burke (April 24, 2017). "2017 NFL Draft Rankings: Top by Position". si.com. Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- Wesseling, Chris (April 27, 2017). "Niners select Solomon Thomas with third pick". NFL.com.
- Lyles, Harry. "Solomon Thomas can be next Michael Bennett for the 49ers". SB Nation. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Solomon Thomas contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved April 6, 2018.