Solstice/Sound and Shadows
|Solstice/Sound and Shadows|
|Studio album by Ralph Towner|
|Studio||Talent Studio, Oslo|
|Ralph Towner chronology|
Solstice/Sound and Shadows is an album by American guitarist Ralph Towner that was released on the ECM label in 1977. It is the second album to feature the Solstice quartet of Towner with Jan Garbarek, Eberhard Weber and Jon Christensen.
Allmusic awarded the album with 4 stars and its review by Michael G. Nastos states: "The playing here by Towner and a group of other ECM artists is what made the label so noteworthy: It is full of elegance and aplomb and the musicians are as aware of space as they are of what fills it".
All compositions by Ralph Towner.
- "Distant Hills" – 10:46
- "Balance Beam" – 10:44
- "Along the Way" – 5:14
- "Arion" – 8:44
- "Song of the Shadows" – 9:24
- Ralph Towner – 12-string and classical guitar, piano, French horn
- Jan Garbarek – tenor and soprano saxophone, flute
- Eberhard Weber – bass, cello
- Jon Christensen – drums, percussion
- Nastos, M. G. Allmusic Review: Solstice/Sound and Shadows accessed 10 March 2010