27 August 1990 |
Guatemala City, Guatemala
|Genres||Pop, rock, country rock, acoustic pop, acoustic rock, pop rock, soft rock, folk rock|
Soluna Samay Kettel[pronunciation?] (born 27 August 1990, Guatemala City, Guatemala) is a Guatemalan-Danish-Swiss singer. Samay represented Denmark in the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 in Baku, Azerbaijan with her entry "Should've Known Better."
Soluna Samay Kettel was born in Guatemala City, Guatemala to a German father, musician Gerd G. Kettel (stage name Gee Gee Kettel) and a Swiss mother, artist Annelis Ziegler. She grew up on the shores of Lago de Atitlán, Guatemala and attended the Robert Muller LIFE school. Soluna moved to Denmark in 2000 when her parents purchased a small farm on Bornholm, a Danish island in the Baltic Sea. Soluna is multilingual speaking fluent English, Danish, Spanish and German. Her name is derived from the Spanish words sol and luna, meaning Sun and Moon. Soluna has a Swiss passport, so, officially she is Swiss.
Soluna's music career began at age of 5 when she joined her father on drums and soon after began singing along. At the age of 10 she switched to electric bass, at 16 to upright bass. With her parents she spent her summers touring and playing music on the streets of Europe, and winters living in Guatemala. Soluna started to learn guitar around the age of 12, when she also wrote her first songs.
National final and Eurovision 2012
Soluna was chosen as a wildcard entry by DR1 for the Dansk Melodi Grand Prix (Danish Eurovision Song Contest), singing a song called "Should've Known Better" written by Remee, Isam B (Outlandish) and A Sulaiman and produced by Chief1. She won the Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2012 on 21 January over Jesper Nohrstedt and Christian Brøns & Patrik Isaksson, and won the right to represent Denmark at the Eurovision Song Contest 2012.
- Results from the voting of the Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2012
|01||Soluna Samay||"Should've Known Better"||10||10||10||12||12||56||110|
|02||Jesper Nohrstedt||"Take Our Hearts"||12||12||12||10||10||46||102|
|03||Christian Brøns & Patrik Isaksson||"Venter"||8||8||8||8||8||48||88|
The song performed 13th in the first semi-final and finished 9th to qualify for the Eurovision final where she finished 23rd.
Gee Gee & Soluna
- The Beat Goes On (Ozella Music; 2001)
- Thinking Of You (Ozella Music; 2004)
- Movin’ On (Chocolate Factory; 2006)
- Lucky Seven (Funky Farm Records; 2007)
- Just Passing Through (Chocolate Factory; 2008)
- Streetwise (Funky Farm; 2009)
- The Best & the Rest (Chocolate Factory; 2011)
|Sing Out Loud|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2003||"I Wish I Was a Seagull"||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|2011||"Two Seconds Ago"||—||—||—||—||Sing Out Loud|
|"Should've Known Better"||1||51||51||67||Soluna Samay|
|2012||"Come Again (The Quetzal)"||18||—||—||—|
|2013||"L.O.V.E (If Women Ruled the World)"||—||—||—||—|
- First an international jury gave points to each of the final three contestants and afterwards the points from the Televoters were given.
- "Soluna Samay - Danish Charts". danishcharts.com/ Hung Medien.
- "Soluna Samay - Austrian Charts". austriancharts.at/ Hung Medien.
- "Soluna Samay - Music Charts". αCharts.us.
- "Soluna Samay - Swiss Charts". hitparade.ch/ Hung Medien.
A Friend in London
with "New Tomorrow"
|Denmark in the Eurovision Song Contest
Emmelie de Forest
with "Only Teardrops"