|Developer||Arjen Balfoort and community members|
|Source model||Open source and closed source|
|Initial release||28 February 2013|
|Latest release||201801 / 23 January 2018|
|Marketing target||home users, small businesses and non-profit organizations|
|Update method||APT, custom UpdateManager, Synaptic|
|Platforms||i386, AMD64, ARM_architecture (Raspberry PI2 and PI3)|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Influenced by||Debian Stable and testing|
|Default user interface||KDE Plasma 4 (default in SolydK), Xfce (default in SolydX)|
|License||Free software, mainly the GNU GPL, and other licenses|
SolydXK is a Dutch Linux distribution based on Debian. It aims to be simple to use, providing an environment that is stable, secure, and ideal for small businesses, non-profit organizations and home users.
In November 2012, Linux Mint ceased maintaining both the KDE and Xfce versions of LMDE. SolydXK was started to support these two desktop environments. "SolydX" refers to the Xfce version, while "SolydK" refers to the KDE version. The project name is an amalgam of the two names.
The two core editions for SolydXK, SolydX and SolydK, are officially available in 64-bit Live CDs with installers.
The distribution installs with common software such as Firefox, LibreOffice, XChat/Quassel, Pidgin/Kopete, and GIMP for a variety of common tasks. Both editions also provide Steam and PlayOnLinux installed for gaming, and a driver manager to easily enable the best gaming performance.
SolydXK, originally based on Debian testing, since January 2015 is built on Debian Stable.
There are also Community Editions, not officially tested nor supported by the SolydXK team. Examples are the SolydXK Enthusiast’s Edition - versions of SolydX and SolydK that follow Debian testing, the 32-bit community editions and the version for Raspberry Pi 3.
- "SolydXK 201801 32-bit".
- Watson, J.A. (9 December 2013). "SolydXK hands on: Two good Linux distributions with a solid base". ZDNet.
- "Monthly Stats – November 2012". Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- A solid experience with SolydXK 201506, 20 July 2015, by Jesse Smith, distrowatch.com
- Review: SolydK 201506, 13 July 2015 by Das U-Blog by Prashanth, dasublogbyprashanth.blogspot.ie
- Upstart SolydXK Distro Seeks First Business Customers, 28 January 2014, by Libby Clark, Linux.com
- SolydXK: New Kid on the Linux Block Delivers Rock-Solid Performance, by Jack M. Germain, 26 June 2013, LinuxInsider.com
- SolydK Linux review - Very solid, June 1, 2013, Dedoimedo.com