Soma Valliyappan is a renowned Tamil writer, speaker, trainer, and an expert in the areas of Human Resource Management, Personality development, and Financial Investments. He has written over 45 books in Tamil and English on various subjects including self-development, stock market, emotional intelligence, time management, sales, leadership, and personality development.
- 1 Career
- 2 Birth and Education
- 3 Professional Experience
- 4 Human Resource Development
- 5 Teaching and Training
- 6 Writing
- 7 Notes
Known for his erudite writing style, his articles and columns are widely published in leading Tamil newspapers and periodicals regularly. His book on Stock investing, titled Alla Alla Panam, released in 2004 by Kizhakku Publishers (New Horizon Media), has been a phenomenal success and has sold over 100,000 copies in about 5 years. The book introduces basics of stock market and investment techniques to investors in a simple and effective way.
Valliyappan is regularly invited by many Tamil Television channels for his opinions on stock market and economic events. He has done hundreds of Live Programs in TV Channels like Doordarshan ( Pothigai), Makkal TV, Kalaingar News, Puthia Thalaimurai TV etc.
Birth and Education
Valliyappan was born on 18 September at Cuddalore district headquarters of South Arcot, TN. He is a native of Devakottai.He is a Graduate in Economics from Madras University and Post Graduate in Business Administration with human resource and Marketing specializations. He had earned a Post Graduate Diploma in Personnel Management with a specialization in Personnel Management & Industrial relations, from National Institute of Personnel Management -Kolkata. Prior to his graduation he did his Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology at Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology in Chennai.
Valliyappan has held several senior and Executive positions in Human Resource Management in many organizations, representing Manufacturing, Financial services, and ITeS services sectors, including BHEL, two multinationals: Whirlpool and PepsiCo India Holdings, besides Indian Hotels Co ltd and Hindustan Motors ltd. Cameo and Navia Markets ltd. Currently, Valliyappan runs his own management consultancy services company, Menmai Management consultancy services.
Human Resource Development
Valliyappan is very passionate about human resource development. He is a Life Member of National HR Development Network (NHRD), India’s premier association of HR professionals committed to promoting the HR movement in the country. His areas of interest in HR include, strategic HR, Performance measurement and management, Reward and compensation, 360 degree feedback, Emotional intelligence, Balanced Score Card, and Personal effectiveness, among others.
Teaching and Training
Valliyappan is closely associated with academia – he has been teaching, and training since 1990. Currently, he is a member of Board of Studies of Alagappa Institute of Management, Karaikudi. He was also a member of Board of Studies of St Joseph’s College and Bishop Heber College, Trichy and was in the Selection Committee of Bharathidhasan Institute Management, Trichy and IIM Ranchi. He was a visiting faculty at Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli and the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), Chennai.
On behalf of National Stock Exchange, Madras Stock Exchange, Securities Exchange Board of India, and South Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry, he has taken a number of seminars for public, investors and management students, mainly on Stock Market.
HR, Investment and Management
Valliyappan’s first book, Thittamiduvom Vetriperuvom, which dealt with Self-development, was published in the year 2002. His first book did well in the market and he continued authoring books such as Thottathellam Ponnaagum, Kaalam Ungal Kaladiyil etc. which introduced many specialized subjects in management for the Tamil readers. Valliyappan’s Alla Alla Panam, published in August 2004 by Kizhakku Publishers (New Horizon Media), created a new record of sorts in the Tamil publishing world. The book sold ten thousand copies in the first few months of its launch, which is unheard of for an investment book in Tamil. In 2010, the book’s sale crossed the one lakh mark.
Following the phenomenal success of Alla Alla Panam, (AAP) which introduced the basics of stock market, he went ahead and wrote four more books on different aspects of stock market and investment like Technical & Fundamental analysis (AAP-2), Futures and Options( AAP-3), Portfolio Management (AAP-4) and Trading (AAP-5).
Soon, Valliyappan became a name to reckon with in the Tamil publishing world. He gained the reputation of being one of the very few Tamil authors who can authentically and competently present successful management subjects to the common man. Valliyappan can be credited with introducing many management concepts for the first time in Tamil. For instance, his book, Idliyaaga Irungal, is the first in Tamil on the subject of Emotional intelligence. His recent book, Thallu, is on successful motivational techniques followed in the corporate world. His writings were published by Anna University under the title Nirvaagaththiran Membaadugal as part of its initiative to promote women empowerment. His book on mental health, Mana Azhuththam Virattalaama was published by Kizhakku Publisher’s Prodigy imprint, on behalf of UNESCO, for the benefit of students. A prolific writer, Valliyappan has given out many motivational books for the benefit of students and young managers. Some of his popular titles are: Ushaar Ulle Paar, which deals with ( the Power of Mind ; Aaalappirandhavargal Neengal, on leadership qualities; Ulagam Un vasam, on communication skills. His two books, Idliyaaga Irungal and Alla Alla Panam are in the list of recommended readings for students of a college in Madurai, and Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, respectively.
In the late Nineties, Valliyappan wrote several self-development articles for magazines including Mangaiyar Malar under the pen name, SMV. He had written over 40 articles – including centre-page articles, about human resource and self-development in Dinamani newspaper. Valliyappan writes columns on business and investment in leading Tamil periodicals including Ananda Vikatan, Kumudam, Naanayam Vikadan. He writes in general interest magazines like Amuda Surabi, Namadhu Nambikkai, and Grassroot, on personality development.
Soma Valliappan has written several short stories in the Nineties that were published in leading Tamil magazines including Kalki, Ananda Vikatan, Mangaiyar Malar, Tamilarasi, and Dinamalar Varamalar. Soma Valliappan’s short story titled Paathippugal, published in 1993, was adjudged as the best short story of the month by Ilakkiya Sinthanaigal, a Tamil literary association. His published works in creative writing also include a short story collection (reprint title:Nejam Ellam Nee by Apple publications) and a novel, Pattampoochigalin Kannammoochi Kaalam.
He appears on popular Tamil TV channels including: Star Vijay, Kalaignar Seithigal, Jaya, Jaya Plus, and Makkal TV. His talks and Interviews are aired by All India Radio’ Channel 2, Radio Mirchi, Aha FM, Radio City, Radio 1 and Singapore Oli. Kumudam.com publishes Valliyappan’s interviews in multiple media formats including video in their Web TV. He has written Panam pannalaam Panam, Panam for 24 weeks in popular Tamil weekly Ananda Vikatan and Panam Panna Neenga Readya, a 19-week series, Panam sila sandhegangal, a 20-week series, and Paname Oodivaa, a 29-week series for Popular Kumudam, Tamil weekly magazine, all on financial Management. He had published audio books too.
Soma Valliappan has authored about 45 books in various topics
- Idliyaaga Irungal (Emotional Intelligence ) New Horizon Media, Chennai
- Teen tharigada ( For Tenn Agers) New Horizon Media, Chennai
- Thadaiyedhumillai ( Self Development- Collection of Articles written in Dinamani)- Vijaya pathippagam, Coimbatore
- Adhigaaram Alla, Anbu- ( Self Development- Collection of Articles written in Dinamani)- Vijaya pathippagam, Coimbatore
- Appa Magan _ Father son relationship) -Vijaya pathippagam, Coimbatore
- Mana Azhuththam Virattalaama (For School Students on Stress Management- for UNESCO) Prodigey-NHM
- kathal Mudal thiruman varai ( About Marriage & Husband and Wife relationship),NHM
- Nallathaka Nallu Varthai ( Self Development- Collection of Articles written in Dinamani)- Manivasakar Chennai 101
- Ushaar Ulle Paar ( About the power of the mind) NHM
- Indhamurai Neethaan ( for School final students- motivation) Vijaya Pathippagam, Coimbatore
- Neengal Virumbum Vellaiyai Vendruedupathu Epadi ( Full details about employment interviews and Group Discusions) NHM
- Thallu ( On Motivation & Performance Management) NHM
- Munnetram Indha Pakkam (Complete Road map for developing & achieving the Ojectives) Vijaya pathippagam, Coimbatore
- Chinna thuuNdil periya meen - Apple Patipagam
- Sollathathaiyum Sey - Sixth Sense
- Nee Asatharanamanavan- Apple Publications
- Aaallappirandhavar Neengal ( On Leadership) Revised and expanded Sixth sense publications Chennai 17
- Thittamiduvom Vetriperuvom ( Motivation & Planning) Manivasakar pathippagam, Chennai 101
- Kaalam Ungal Kaladiyil ( On Time Management) NHM, Chennai
- Yaar Nee? ( Knowing ones personality and its Characters) NHM
- Ulagam Un Vasam ( On Communication ) NHM
- Urudhimattume Vendum ( On the importance of the Commitment- Motivation) NHM, Chennai
- Uravugal Menpada ( On Interpersonal Relationship) NHM, Chennai
- Sirandha Nirvaagi Yeppadi? ( On how to grow in an Organisation- Motivation & Techniques) NHM,Chennai
- Nattu Kannaku (Economics), Sixth Sense publications
- Thotathellam Ponagum, Sixth Sense publications
- You vs. You ( Emotional Intelligence) Productivity and Quality publishers
- Alla Alla Panam – 1 Revised 2012 (Basics of Stock Market- Complete details- 225 pages) NHM, Chennai
- Alla Alla Panam – 2 Revised 2012 (On Stock Market Fundamental & Technical Analysis- in some detail) NHM
- Alla Alla Panam – 3 (On Stock Markets- Futurs & Options) NHM, Chennai
- Alla Alla Panam – 4 (On Portfolio management- Stocks) NHM, Chennai
- Alla Alla Panam – 5 (Trading in Stock markets- Candles) NHM,Chennai
- Panguchanthai Oru Arimugam ( Brief Introduction to Stock Markets) Prodigy, NHM, Chennai
- Paname Oodivaa (On various Investment opportunities including FDs, ELSS, PF, ULIPS, GOLD, Stocks etc.) Vijaya Pathippagam- Coimbatore
Sorgaththin Sonthakaarar ( On buying a Flat or House) NHM, Chennai
- Thottathellam Ponnaagum ( Motivation and deatis of starting a Business) NHM, Chennai
- Panam Pannalaam Panam Panam( Serila that was published in Anada Vikadan- different opportunities to start small businesses) NHM, Chennai
- Number 1 Salesman ( Details of Sales- Prospecting to closing the Sale) NHM,Chennai
- Chinna Thoondil Periya Meen ( Methods for High Productivity in Personal life) Alagappar Pathippagam, Karaikudi
- siRuthuLi perum paNam - Alagappar Pathippagam Karaikudi