|Single by Jackson Browne|
|from the album Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Music from the Motion Picture|
|B-side||"The Crow on the Cradle"|
|Length||4:05 (single version)
4:23 (album version)
|Writer(s)||Jackson Browne, Danny Kortchmar|
|Jackson Browne singles chronology|
"Somebody's Baby" is a song written by Jackson Browne and Danny Kortchmar and recorded by Browne for the 1982 Fast Times at Ridgemont High movie soundtrack. Reaching #7 on the US Billboard Hot 100 after debuting at #73 on July 31, 1982, the track would be Browne's last top-ten song as well as the highest-charting single of his career, spending 19 weeks on the chart. It reached #14 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, as well. The single was also released in Italy, Spain and Japan.
It has since been released on several of Browne's greatest hits albums including The Next Voice You Hear: The Best of Jackson Browne and The Very Best of Jackson Browne. An unplugged acoustic version appears on Browne's 2008 album entitled Solo Acoustic, Vol. 2.
- American rock band Yo La Tengo released a version on the 1988 compilation album entitled Human Music (HMS100) (Homestead Records).
- It was covered by Andru Donalds for the 1997 Good Will Hunting soundtrack.
- Phantom Planet covered the song for the 2001 Not Another Teen Movie movie soundtrack.
- Country music singer-songwriter Eric Heatherly covered the song on his 2009 album 2 High 2 Cry.
- Spoken word poet and rapper B. Dolan featured the song on his 2008 concept album The Failure.
- Harley & The Night covered the song for the 2008 EP "Side A".
- Free Energy_(band) covered the song in 2013 and made it available on Youtube and Soundcloud.
- Have Mercy covered the song for their portion of the 2015 split EP with Somos
- Billboard.com Jackson Browne Chart History. Accessed July 11, 2012.
- Whitburn, Joel. Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Eighties. Wisconsin: Record Research, 1991.
- Paris, Russ. The Jackson Browne Fan Page, COMPLETE DISCOGRAPHY. Accessed July 11, 2012.